Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

Re: "Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The 1960's early 70's convertible Symmar lenses that I used were all superb lenses, they were the mainstay of top professional studios here in the UK. What they weren;t was good convertible lenses that's another story but then Schnieder sold the Angulons as Triple convertibles at one time.

Ian
    Correct. The 150 convertible that I use is an excellent 150, and a useful 265 portrait lens.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Just in case you haven't seen what the Pentac's like wide open, here's a shot from a few years ago of my Dad (an old Sea-dog, made to look somewhat Hemingway-esk…)

Attachment 71353
    Cheers Lachlan, that's pretty much the look I was aiming for.

I've used all three, the 203 is the sharpest followed by the Symmar. The Pentac is useful for portraits if you want the shallow depth look but beyond that 'look' its average once stopped down. They are three very different lenses for three different purposes so its a bit like oranges/tangerines and satsumas :-)

(Shrek)

There are a lot of bad 8" Pentacs out there.
    Care to elaborate?
    You can't just buy a Pentac off fleabay and expect to get a usable lens. A lot of them are in terrible shape, and I understand optical quality is hit-and-miss as well, as many were contracted out to various manufacturers during war-time, and not all of these had good quality control in place. But that's hearsay, the only issues I have personally had with the lenses I've seen have been: scratched-to-hell outer lens surfaces, internal haze, and stuck aluminum retaining rings that prevent servicing. However, taken together, those factors suggest that you shouldn't buy one of these from disreputable or unknown sellers.

The one I have now is passable, very soft wide open, mild internal haze and prone to bad flare. Again, this might be ideal for the op's purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    You can't just buy a Pentac off fleabay and expect to get a usable lens. A lot of them are in terrible shape, and I understand optical quality is hit-and-miss as well, as many were contracted out to various manufacturers during war-time, and not all of these had good quality control in place. But that's hearsay, the only issues I have personally had with the lenses I've seen have been: scratched-to-hell outer lens surfaces, internal haze, and stuck aluminum retaining rings that prevent servicing. However, taken together, those factors suggest that you shouldn't buy one of these from disreputable or unknown sellers.

The one I have now is passable, very soft wide open, mild internal haze and prone to bad flare. Again, this might be ideal for the op's purpose.
    Yep, that's the plan. Plus If I win it for a reasonable sum (I'm thinking a maximum of £150-£200, looking at the current going rate), that seems optically decent. If I don't like it I can strip it down, give the metalwork a re-spray paint job, re-assemble and recoup most, if not more of the money back

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
    Cheers Lachlan, that's pretty much the look I was aiming for.
    Mind you, that would be a wonderful portrait with any of the three lenses mentioned.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Well it finally arrived, got myself the 8" Pentac, optically it looks great, only a few minor scratches to the front element, minor haze (which is slowly responding to gentle buffing). Cosmetically it is, and this is being generous, so ugly it makes the ugly sisters look like super models. Mechanically it's great too.

Now all I need is to get the lens board built
    Last edited by DKirk; 12-Apr-2012 at 11:04. Reason: Further details

Lachlan 717

Looking forward to seeing some results!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky