Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10 not sure wich way to go/can replicate the look of an 8x10 shot wide open

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 not sure wich way to go/can replicate the look of an 8x10 shot wide o

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, John. I don't want to come across as casual about radiation. I simply wanted to put the radiation emitted by lenses in perspective by comparing it to other exposures we willingly and perhaps naively accept as "safe." The more we have learned, the less radiation the medical field uses for imaging procedures. There was a time when X rays were deemed safe by "experts" and used for everything from acne treatment to even sizing your feet in a shoe store. Times have gladly changed, but perhaps not soon enough for you.
    Thanks, but I am not talking ages ago. You guys in the medical field (I see you are) still have a long way to go to understand the ramifications of what you all do.

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 not sure wich way to go/can replicate the look of an 8x10 shot wide o

I used to have an aero ektar and I took it to the nuclear imaging lab at the hospital where i used to work to have it checked out. The radiation from that particular lens was scarcely above "background" radiation and over 6" away it was indistinguishable from the background radiation using the equipment that lab had (nor, IIRC were there any emissions from the rear cell) The type of radiation wasn't one of the bad kinds---but of course that can change during the course of time---so I kept it in a box I made from "wonderboard"--a cement impregnated fiber glass building material--until I eventually sold it.
    It was an interesting investigation and if I ever have another lens made with lanthium glass cells, I'd go back and ask them to check it out for me (there was no charge as the lab techs really curious about that old lens!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I am not going to argue with you or Corran about what is safe and what is not. You know why? You two are just theorizing about radiation. I am a person who has a permanent serious health problem directly due to radiation levels/sources that were deemed to be "safe" by all manner of experts.
    Not happy to hear about the health problems, John. Sadly, that's the reality of things... how things like radiation affects us is very personal, at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I used to have an aero ektar and I took it to the nuclear imaging lab at the hospital where i used to work to have it checked out. The radiation from that particular lens was scarcely above "background" radiation and over 6" away it was indistinguishable from the background radiation using the equipment that lab had (nor, IIRC were there any emissions from the rear cell) The type of radiation wasn't one of the bad kinds---but of course that can change during the course of time---so I kept it in a box I made from "wonderboard"--a cement impregnated fiber glass building material--until I eventually sold it.
    It was an interesting investigation and if I ever have another lens made with lanthium glass cells, I'd go back and ask them to check it out for me (there was no charge as the lab techs really curious about that old lens!)
    Do you mean 6 feet? Because that's sort of what I got. The peak levels were in lower wavelength gamma. I don't want to quote numbers just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by genotypewriter View Post
    Not happy to hear about the health problems, John. Sadly, that's the reality of things... how things like radiation affects us is very personal, at the end of the day.

Do you mean 6 feet? Because that's sort of what I got. The peak levels were in lower wavelength gamma. I don't want to quote numbers just yet.
    Nope. It was 6 inches on my particular lens.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Well... my younger brother (ok.. cousin for you, folks from States), died at age of 13. Last 3 months of his life he spent in bath, full of painkillers, b/c his spinal brain bit was slowly disintegrating and there was no cure for this. All b/c his father went and worked under presumably "safe" radiation levels, as contractor, to make some money before second kid to be started.. So, if there is someone in next house that gives up waves of whatever radiation level - i really really wish this person would see eyes of 13 year old kid dying for no reason..

Thats why i am saying that it might be next generation to pay. And i do plan to have kid or two more, so - i am steering away from that stuff as much as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Well... my younger brother (ok.. cousin for you, folks from States), died at age of 13. Last 3 months of his life he spent in bath, full of painkillers, b/c his spinal brain bit was slowly disintegrating and there was no cure for this. All b/c his father went and worked under presumably "safe" radiation levels, as contractor, to make some money before second kid to be started.. So, if there is someone in next house that gives up waves of whatever radiation level - i really really wish this person would see eyes of 13 year old kid dying for no reason..

Thats why i am saying that it might be next generation to pay. And i do plan to have kid or two more, so - i am steering away from that stuff as much as i can.
    That is a sad story and an eye-opener of a sort.

Now I got to look more in to radiation's long term effects on the sperm generation and quality.

Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you for the excellent suggestions and advice. It was very helpful and appreciated!

After giving it more thought, I think I will go for a compromise solution and get a 5x7 with a 4x5 back, so that I can try a larger format with a bit less bulk with the same camera. This way I can get started and see where things lead. I really prefer the 4x5 aspect ratio best, so I can upgrade to 8X10 if I like the look of the 5x7.
    I spent a lot of time looking at more portraits on the site and find the 8x10 portraits more appealing.
    I think to take full advantage of 8x10 I would set up a space to use it at home, where I can keep it set up. I would still use it in the field, but I can't see myself getting too far afield with it on my own without getting an assistant Things really start to add up when all the paraphernalia is taken into account.

I was thinking of renting, but I'm not sure I'd get a got enough of a feel for things in a short period of time.

I'll keep you posted on my developments.

Thanks again,

Serge

You'll probably like 5x7 a lot. It's big enough to really see the ground glass, and the film, when you can find it, is cheaper.

5x7 would be a nice format, but which camera at which price?

If you are trying to keep your options open, weight down, and re-sale price up, then consider a Ritter 8x10 with reducing backs of whatever size you like. You would have some bulk relative to smaller formats but about the same weight.

You could use 8x10 at home, 5x7 out of the car, and 4x5 backpacking for example.

A lot of the older 4x5 cameras were 4x5s! All you need is the 5x7 back. Check out Agfa Anscos, B&Js, etc... two formats for the price of one!