Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: W. Watson & Sons full plate camera – Score!

W. Watson & Sons full plate camera – Score!

Good afternoon all! I just wanted to share some information on a camera that was given to me today as a surprise part of a previous purchase.

I posted previously about a Folmer Graflex copy/duplicating camera that I picked up (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...I-did-it-again). As it has a huge stand I was unable to pick it up the day I purchased it. Today I went back to pick it up and there was a leather box sitting with it that "went with the camera". I peeked inside and saw some film holders and added it to the pile in the back of the van.

When I arrived home I started looking at the contents and was surprised to see a camera in the leather box. It has a tag on it that says:
    W. Watson & Sons LTD
    Manufacturers
    313 High Holborn
    London

This thing was DUSTY. I finally figured out how to open it (it's totally different from any of my other cameras) and cleaned it up and began exploring. First, it is in amazing condition. It seems to have been used little if any from the condition of everything. The bellows have a few corner holes that I will repair but look almost new in shine and pliability. It has a built in curtain shutter that needs a good cleaning but still functions, albeit very sporadically.

I believe that this was built in the late 1800's but I have not confirmed that yet. As I began looking at features and craftsmanship I am completely blown away at the thought and quality of this camera. It has front rise, fall and shift as well as rear tilt and swing. Granted, the movements are limited but amazing in their engineering and build. The quality and build of the wood frames is incredible and the brass(?) parts are in amazing shape. The back can be removed and turned to accommodate either portrait or landscape orientations.

Size wise this is similar in size to my 8x10 cameras. It is full plate and came with 3 plate/film holders. This is another thing that completely blew my mind. The functionality and build of each of the holders is beyond anything I have ever seen. Each holder side is numbered with an inlay that looks like white/ivory material with black numbers. These holders have four clasps on the outside that allow the entire holder to fold open clamshell-style to reveal the internals. It has two inserts that look like film sleeves that are removable (i'm guessing) to allow a plate to be used as well. These holders are built very solidly and have a few other really interesting features. First, the darkslides have a safety mechanism which requires you to pinch a little metal tab in order to be able to pull the slide. Second, the darkslides cannot be completely removed but stop at the fully open position. One of the little details that really surprised me is that the darkslide, when fully open was built to bend out of the way by means of a hidden, interlocking series of cuts in the wood that allow it to bend. This is so well constructed that you would never notice it unless you were expressly looking for it. Unbelievable. Lastly, the holders have a very interesting way of mounting to the back by unlatching the ground glass which then swings out of the way to allow a very well thought out way to safely mount your holder. The holders have ridges on the sides similar to some of the old Graflex film holders. You simply set one side of the holder about 2/3rds of the way in and slide it about an inch sideways and it literally locks into place with a click. To release the holder there is a button that allows you to release and remove the holder the same way that you put it in.

There are many other little details to this camera that I can't even begin to detail but I can say that the engineering and attention to detail is better than almost anything I've ever encountered.

I have attached a few really bad photos just to share but I thought you might enjoy seeing what I'm talking about. If you know anything else about this camera or maker I'd love to know as much as possible.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	99388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	99389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	99390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	99391

Re: W. Watson & Sons full plate camera – Score!

A few more...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-8.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	99392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-7.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	99393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-6.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	99394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watson-5.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	99395

Very nice, the Watson were available for many years, these tail board versions were often sold to government department and the military. They were made up until about 1960.

Ian

I wrote before I read, I was so excited to see this masterpiece.

The upper switch must be the holder lock!

I see the front shift and rise, but what is that in the upper left of the rear camera opening? Looks like a switch?

And the lens board hooks were copied by Galvin.

Very nice original condition!

Nice camera!
    Last edited by Tin Can; 28-Jul-2013 at 06:55. Reason: add the red part
    Tin Can

It's a Watson "Premiere" Square Bellows Camera introduced in 1883, and checking the company's adverts they were still made along with the TP shutters in the late 1950's by 1955 only Half plate though. The company were at that address from 1861-1940, then 1946 untilwhen they ceased trading somewhere around 1958-60.

The 1950's Watson cameras still took British book form plate/film holders, and the cameras & shutters look the same as those made many years earlier. Contrary to the Earlyphotography.co.uk website the Company traded as W. Waton & Sons Ltd from 1908-late 1950's.

Ian

I understand your excitment. Earlyphotography.co.uk is your best source, in spite of the error Ian found, for information and photos about this and the near relatives. The basic design is standard for both UK and Continental (1/2, 1/1 plate and 13x18cm and 18x24cm) Tailboard designs- unless they have the rotating bellows system. Book type holders are unbelievably well-made.

Thanks Ian! Super helpful.

Now that I know what it is I'll try to find a date for it. There a a few corner holes in the bellows that I'll repair and then make some images.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    It's a Watson "Premiere" Square Bellows Camera introduced in 1883, and checking the company's adverts they were still made along with the TP shutters in the late 1950's by 1955 only Half plate though. The company were at that address from 1861-1940, then 1946 untilwhen they ceased trading somewhere around 1958-60.

The 1950's Watson cameras still took British book form plate/film holders, and the cameras & shutters look the same as those made many years earlier. Contrary to the Earlyphotography.co.uk website the Company traded as W. Waton & Sons Ltd from 1908-late 1950's.

Ian

I will definitely take some time and explore that site. So much to learn.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I understand your excitment. Earlyphotography.co.uk is your best source, in spite of the error Ian found, for information and photos about this and the near relatives. The basic design is standard for both UK and Continental (1/2, 1/1 plate and 13x18cm and 18x24cm) Tailboard designs- unless they have the rotating bellows system. Book type holders are unbelievably well-made.

Randy,

The switch at the top of the GG holder is a release for the film/plate holder. You have to press the release to remove the holder. Amazing details on this thing.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I wrote before I read, I was so excited to see this masterpiece.

The upper switch must be the holder lock!

I see the front shift and rise, but what is that in the upper left of the rear camera opening? Looks like a switch?

And the lens board hooks were copied by Galvin.

Very nice original condition!

Nice camera!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Thanks Ian! Super helpful.

Now that I know what it is I'll try to find a date for it. There a a few corner holes in the bellows that I'll repair and then make some images.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co
    You might struggle to narow the date down much because the cameras didn't reallychange over a long period except for special orders, the harware is standard for a few makes, I've copies of 2 catalogues of brass camera hardware but there were a few manufacturers.

earlyphotography.co.uk is an excellent website, by far the best of its type but there's many cameras not listed. No-one has really done histories of individual British camera makers in detail looking at their full model range over their entire history.

It doesn't help that there was a lot of inter-trading/sub-contracting between British manufacturers so your Watson is near identical to a similar Gandolfi or Perken.

You can have high res a scan of a Watson advert for your camera, photo & a price list, if you want. They key part is the fact it has the Limited company badge which makes it 1908 or later.

I think perhaps US field cameras have a greater following because most can use modern film holders but apart from UK made Kodaks and later Gandolfi most of the UK wood & brass cameras use bookform or similar non standard plate/film holders so most haven't been used for many years.

Many of us find it amazing that cameras taking book form holders were still being made in the UK after WWII and the modern International standards and sold by Watson and Gandolfi.

Ian