Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine Experiences?

View Camera Magazine Experiences?

Hi,

I subscribed to the view camera magazine (International online subscription for 2010 & 2011),
    via PayPal using the buttons at http://www.viewcamera.com/store.html

Money was transferred last Sunday, but somehow I got no response with instructions yet...
    Tried to mail to the contact address from two different email addresses (to be sure of any SPAM filter issues).

I'm a bit confused, as they write:
    Please note: We will email login instructions within one business day of receipt of your purchase. You will NOT receive a paper copy!

Any experiences with the magazine, or idea what the problem could be?

Best regards and thanks,
    Martin

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: View Camera Magazine Experiences?

Call them. Writing (email) isn't as reliable as a telephone call in contacting them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Call them. Writing (email) isn't as reliable as a telephone call in contacting them.
    I always try to follow the "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" approach to View Camera Magazine threads. However, please consider the absurdity of your advice. After sending funds per the Web site's directions, then waiting three days longer than he was supposed to and getting no response to multiple email contact attempts, you'd have Martin pay for an international phone call too?

It doesn't matter that there's no other print publication about large format photography. There comes a point at which blind support becomes ridiculous. I'd suggest he file a PayPal complaint, get a refund and use the money for film.

Personally, if View Camera Magazine doesn't have the courtesy to respond to your emails I would file a dispute with PayPal.

Roger

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I always try to follow the "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" approach to View Camera Magazine threads. However, please consider the absurdity of your advice. After sending funds per the Web site's directions, then waiting three days longer than he was supposed to and getting no response to multiple email contact attempts, you'd have Martin pay for an international phone call too?
    What I wrote was neither "un-nice" nor absurd. That is my experience. BUTT OUT. I'm sure Martin is mature enough to make his own decision on how to proceed without being rude to people sharing experiences or giving advise.

Eric Biggerstaff

Steve may be out of town, it is a one man show there. I called him for you and gave him a heads up, saves you the expense of the international call.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thanks for the support, guys!

And Eric, thanks a lot for the call!

I'll be patient ...

Best regards,
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What I wrote was neither "un-nice" nor absurd. That is my experience. BUTT OUT...
    Excuse me? First, nothing I wrote said you were "un-nice."

Second, Martin is dealing with a business. Despite Eric's subsequent characterization of it as a "one man show," the business' Web site includes an email address for the person who was an administrative employee, Andrea Miles. The business' owner being out of town, if he is, offers no excuse for his operation not being run in a business-like manner. If Ms. Miles is not on his staff any longer, there's also no excuse for not updating his Web site.

Finally, I politely asked you to "please consider the absurdity of your advice." There was nothing rude about writing that. Your approach to coddling this particular business is, unfortunately, typical of many who post here. I consider taking that path to be absurd. It leads people like Martin to afford unwarranted consideration to the business, i.e. continuing to wait. Also,your upper case admonition to me is the only rude post in this thread.

Yes Sal, I wrote to the office/contact address: amiles@viewcamera.com

Yeah, it seems to be a bit unprofessional to explicitly declare those response times and then ignore all email traffic ;-)

However, if that's a usual thing with this business, and there will be a response eventually at some point,
    I'm already reassured, as I was afraid perhaps the company went defunct or something like that ...

And of course, if the magazine content will be interesting, as I suspect (I also liked the Simmons LF book which I read as an intro), I'm willing to be a bit more patient ...
    Can't put any more film in the fridge anyway, otherwise I risk that my girlfriend is going to kill me ;-)

Just hoping it won't be >= 6 months waiting duration like my Lee Filters ... but ok, they warned me before ordering ;-)

Best regards,
    Martin

Cool!

In the meantime, I received a mail with the access information!
    So everything is fine now!

I was told that they just had a computer down.

Thank you all again for your support,
    Martin