Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a Toyo 45AII, but...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kelly Beard

Just got a Toyo 45AII, but...

no lens board yet, which I just ordered, and although I already have a couple of lenses I just ordered a bargain Fujinon-W 210mm from KEH. The camera came from Japan, which is amazing that it only took a couple of day to get and no customs to pay, but it is broken on the part that holds and locks down the front standards. Not a huge issue I guess but I don't want to have to send the camera anywhere to get it repaired but I'll probably have to. I've contacted the seller to see what he will do.

Ok, so this is just a rant, but offer any thoughts about the camera itself, past experiences with getting it repaired, whatever. Here is a pic of where the break in the camera is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!qEE9d8f!!V,BPZsPiT0l!~~60_58.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	71068
    Kelly Beard

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Just got a Toyo 45AII, but...

For parts and repair check out http://toyoview.com/ServRepair/serv%26rep.html. If you're going to DIY, they will send you the parts you need and will e-mail you a diagram. That's what they did when I installed a fresnel in a 45CF. FAst turn around on repairs too.

Other options would be a local camera repair technician or KEH.

Thomas

Kelly Beard

Smile Re: Just got a Toyo 45AII, but...

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    For parts and repair check out http://toyoview.com/ServRepair/serv%26rep.html. If you're going to DIY, they will send you the parts you need and will e-mail you a diagram. That's what they did when I installed a fresnel in a 45CF. FAst turn around on repairs too.

Other options would be a local camera repair technician or KEH.

Thomas
    Yeah, I've already been to Toyo's site and gotten the number but I haven't called yet. If I can do a DIY repair that would be awesome. I've very handy fixing things myself although it looks like you need some tiny tools...
    Kelly Beard

That really sucks. I hope the seller will help you out. That's kind of a big thing not to notice when selling.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hopefully you can work everything out with the Seller.

The Toyo 45AII are really nice cameras. A good friend of mine owns the earlier 45A and loves it. I have tried to trade him out of it but to no avail.

Last time I spoke to someone at toyo about fixing the same camera they were really really helpful. He gave me quick instructions over the phone so I could decide if I wanted to try it myself and then included instructions in the box.

Just to add some optimism along the lines that Alan has, I have a Toyo AX. It is a terrific camera. Of the 20 or so LF cameras that I've worked with, it's the one I've settled on as my main user.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Toyo is a great company. I am only a town away from them. Over the years, when I needed a part for one of my toyo cameras, I would just take a ride over pick up the part. There is a nice lady in the front office that was always friendly and offered me tea while I waited for my part. The staff was very patient and helpful.

I would recommend carefully checking the bellows before you use the camera: five out of the six used 45A Toyos I've had recently have had pinholes, including two nearly mint cameras that looked perfect. At first I thought it was the climate in Japan where most of these came from but one that had been here in the dry, high-desert region had a tiny hole at the corner of every single pleat.

I use a small LED flashlight to check the bellows, you need to be able to shine the light directly into all of the corners of every pleat, that is where you are most likely to find the pinholes.

I like the 45AII. It is my first LF camera and it works great. Easy to use, precise and makes great images. Have fun.