Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot meter

Spot meter

Hello,

I'm looking for a spot meter for some large format photography.
    Looking for a used one at KEH.
    Something under $200.
    Any recommendations???

Thank you so much in advance!

Landscape Addict

Re: Spot meter

I recently paid $230 with shipping for my Pentax digital spot - Its awesome.

They seem to go for between $250 ~ 300 on average but you might find one in average cosmetic condition that works perfectly for sub $200
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

I second the recommendation for a Pentax digital spotmeter. It's the perfect meter for outdoor Zone System work. Ralph Lambrecht has a downloadable Zone sticker for the meter too. Just print it out and glue it on.

Best,

Doremus

Another recommendation for the Pentax - the analog meter is also excellent, just a little bulkier.

I paid around $200 for a Sekonic L-558 that I'd highly recommend.

I bought a Sekonic L-488 for $125 at KEH. They aren't available that frequently, but they lack an elegant look so they tend to be inexpensive. But they are as easy to use for outdoor Zone System work as a Pentax. Sekonic is not a budget brand--these were intended as first-quality items. Here's my review and comparison with the Pentax Spot V and the Minolta Spot F:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=sekonic+l-488

Rick "noting that KEH now has one in better condition than mine for $179" Denney

Octogenarian

Hi Rick,

I read the thread where you compared the Pentax V (analog) spot meter to the Minolta F (digital) spot meter.

It seems to me that you were comparing apples to oranges. I have owned both of those meters in the past.

During the last ten years, i have been using a Zone VI modified Pentax digital meter.

The Zone VI Pentax digital is far simpler for me to use than either the Pentax V analog or the Minolta F digital meter.

As you mentioned, the Minolta F also is capable of reading flash exposures. I seldom use flash. When I do, I use the flash guide number to estimate the exposure.

For B&W photography, I usually read the values directly through the glass filter before screwing it onto the lens.

I am convinced that the Zone VI modifications have corrected for the variations in the color of the filters and is far superior to the Pentax V and the Minolta F for the Zone SYstem method.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Hi Rick,

I read the thread where you compared the Pentax V (analog) spot meter to the Minolta F (digital) spot meter.

It seems to me that you were comparing apples to oranges.
    I didn't compare them according to their capabilities, I compared them according to how well they fulfilled my requirements, which were based on how I intended to use them. And I detailed that fairly specifically so as not to mislead anyone. That's good systems engineering--designed to achieve the cheapest correct solution rather than the most powerful solution.

The Minolta meter is feature-rich and powerful. I was not happy when mine was destroyed. But it is also a pain in the rear to use with the Zone System, whether or not one has Zone VI mods (and my Spot V always seemed to work fine without those mods, even metering through filters).

Yes, the Minolta measures flash. So does the L-488 I tested. But the L-488 can also be used conveniently with a Zone-System scale attached to the circular calculator, same as my Pentax. And unlike the Spot V, the Pentax Digital, and the Spot F, the Sekonic has a wider-view metering capability that may fulfill someone else's requirements.

Maybe the Digital Pentax would fulfill my requirements better than the Sekonic--I didn't have one to include in my comparison and I've never used one. But it's also two or three times as expensive on the used market.

Rick "who learned a long time ago that 'best' is an elusive concept" Denney

I currently use the Pentax analog with great results, but have also used a Solgior with equally happy results. The Soligors usually go for under $150.00.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

thanks for the quick responses everyone~
    guess i'll be purchasing one real soon!