Thread: Travel with Box of Polaroid 57 - Concern with 3000 ASA B&W Film and Carry-On X-Rays

Travel with Box of Polaroid 57 - Concern with 3000 ASA B&W Film and Carry-On X-Rays

OK, likely to be one of the last boxes in captivity, with an expiry date of over 15 years past, and not freezer stored...

The question is even if it is it worth the effort to travel with it to experiment with, how do I manage it not going through the carry-on x-ray machines in Toronto, JFK, and Johannsburg? Is that even possible possible, or I am better leaving it at home? Oh, the box is factory sealed and not been opened, if that makes any difference...

Quick bit of background. Travelling regularly to Africa and purchased an old 5x7 Color Karden with a 4x5 reducing back. One of the individuals working with has strong and active interest in photography, but mainly using digital, so trying to bring him over to the dark side... The Polaroid is to provide him with some immediate feedback on the use of the LF camera.

Shipping to Africa is a problem, and I sent an e-mail earlier today to have someone else chase some training material sent via UPS.

I did do a search, but did not see any addressing high ASA / ISO film like the 3000ASA type 57.

Thoughts, recommendations, and comments welcomed.

Re: Travel with Box of Polaroid 57 - Concern with 3000 ASA B&W Film and Carry-On X-Ra

Well, now in Africa.

Managed to get the box of film hand inspected in Toronto (YYZ), New York (JFK), and Johansburg (JNB). They opened the cardboard factory sealed box in Toronto, but the rest of the time it was just a swipe test.

When my luggage catches up with me tomorrow with the 545 holder, maybe then I will be able to determine how useful the old film is.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Travel with Box of Polaroid 57 - Concern with 3000 ASA B&W Film and Carry-On X-Ra

Well... sounds like success in transporting the Polaroid so far. That is a better story than I expected. Good luck with the testing. I look forward to another report and whatever success you have!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Well... sounds like success in transporting the Polaroid so far. That is a better story than I expected. Good luck with the testing. I look forward to another report and whatever success you have!
    I think in many situations it depends upon how you present yourself and your situation.

I arrived here with a colleague travelling with me on identical arrangements, and due to a mix up, our final leg was not included with the rest of our travel arrangements. I talked to the agent and he arranged to have my bag forwarded to the final destination, but my colleague was not able to get that done. My colleague then had to "arrive" in Johannsburg and get his bag and arrange it to make the final leg.

The final irony was that his bag arrived with our flight, and mine was delayed...

I have no idea why Karma turned on me, but I am expecting to see my bag tomorrow. It could of course be much worse.

I will provide feedback on the condition of the film in case someone else has some old film around.