Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Inkjet better than wet prints yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I don't think you read very carefully, but it is a very long thread. Here was an earlier post of mine:
    My apologies, I suppose I was generalizing a bit, but my previous post is what has been my general impression on this topic throughout this thread. Just one man's observation is all.
    Regards
    Erik

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Inkjet better than wet prints yet?

Well I have work to do: Fire up the big Jobo and develop 3 sheets of 8x10 TXP that I shot yesterday and 6 sheets of Acros. When they are hanging to dry I think I'll print a Kallitype.

Thomas

No time to actually explain yourself? Just time to troll and run?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I love Kallitypes, I'm looking at one I made, on my wall, this very moment. That wasn't an explanation for calling me a shill, that was a link.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    An opinion by Jon Cone based upon the article of the same name published in the Jan/Feb 2012 issue of View Camera Magazine.

In the OEM world, black & white still represents a compromise. The online and tradeshow evangelists for these three companies routinely espouse their black & white superiority over the other. But, none of these systems has yet reached the standard of a finely crafted darkroom silver fiber print. Yet, all around the world and for well more than a decade, many photographers have routinely been printing with customized and specialized black & white inkjet solutions that raise the bar significantly over the OEMs.

Thomas
    This is Jon Cone comparing his competitors (OEM = Epson, Canon, HP) to Silver. He never says silver is better than his own ink. If you read the theagnosticprint.org article thoroughly, there are many references to where different people see certain ink/paper as being better than traditional processes. What it comes down to is different people have different preferences. Everyone is "right" in their own way. Isn't that a great thing? More options for everyone. Just because someone prefers an alternative process doesn't invalidate your own.

I've been trying to avoid posting much in this thread, the discussion seems to hinge comparisons with no established criteria, and no known standards expressed by individuals. If I am perceived as having skin in the game, then it's best I keep my mouth shut. Kirk, having well known high fine print standards, and with hands on experience with many print methods, including the more advanced B&W ink methods which I doubt few in this thread have even ever seen, may be one of the few here to take really seriously.
    But I do want to say that dogmatic stances in the forums, with little to no knowledge of the subject, serves no one well, particularly the poster.

http://www.nearbycafe.com/artandphot...-malcontent-1/

There've been a lot of blanket statements made here that display complete lack of knowledge or experience with inkjet printing. That said, I love all kinds of prints that succeed. Nothing that results on superlative work is easy.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    I've been trying to avoid posting much in this thread, the discussion seems to hinge comparisons with no established criteria, and no known standards expressed by individuals. If I am perceived as having skin in the game, then it's best I keep my mouth shut. Kirk, having well known high fine print standards, and with hands on experience with many print methods, including the more advanced B&W ink methods which I doubt few in this thread have even ever seen, may be one of the few here to take really seriously.
    But I do want to say that dogmatic stances in the forums, with little to no knowledge of the subject, serves no one well, particularly the poster.

There've been a lot of blanket statements made here that display complete lack of knowledge or experience with inkjet printing. That said, I love all kinds of prints that succeed. Nothing that results on superlative work is easy.
    Tyler
    Ain't it the truth? From one of the most vociferous participants in a thread titled "Inkjet better than wet prints yet?" we get this:

"I'm new to digital printing and learning as I go. Yesterday I taught myself how to spot in PS and thought the next thing to learn would be to dodge and burn in PS."

One can only imagine how many more insights he'll provide about ink-jet printing once he notices the dodge and burn tools on the left of the screen and learns how to click on one of them (not to suggest that's the best way to dodge and burn but it's a first step and seems appropriate for someone who just figured out how to spot in Photoshop).
    Last edited by Brian Ellis; 7-Apr-2012 at 13:09.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I was going to address an earlier post Jay about this slowing down of innovation of silver and how ink jet is moving forward with leaps and bounds.

I print both ink and silver, on a daily basis, most of the R&D work I am doing revolves around silver negs and then laying down these negs on different silver papers. I believe this is a very new area, as well we are putting new paper in our exposing unit as I buy rolls, I believe the manufacturers are changing the sensitivity of their emulsions so that LED and Laser exposure is possible . This then would be an open door for anyone to taste old world silver with their current digital capture devices.... So I have to disagree with you, I believe there are great improvements in silver here now and soon more to come.

From a visual perspective there is no gap between silver and ink, IMO, from a archival perspective I am not sure, and need to investigate this further.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    This is how technology evolves. Innovators improve on existing technology in a leapfrog progression until an insurmountable barrier is reached. Sometimes that progression is geometric, other times linear, and at various rates. Silver printing progresses linearly, and has been a mature technology for many decades, so the progress has slowed to a crawl, where every increment is expensive and far between. Ink printing progresses geometrically, and is still a nascent technology, so it's closing the gap with the old technology very rapidly, and we're at a point now where we can argue if the gap still exists, and which technology is most advanced. In other words, the writing is on the wall, whether or not you can read it.

Not all of us are out of the loop to good printing Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post

Tyler

of course not Bob, I hope nothing I said suggested that...
    T