Thread: Ken Hough

Clay

Ken Hough

Well, one kind member of the large format page has offered to take this ridiculous affair on from a legal point of view, and I am assembling all of the relevant material. But I think it might be appropriate to recount the facts. Ken recently sent a request to have some rather negative characterizations about his business practices removed from the static pages on the large format forum, since he had 'turned a new leaf'. This left me a little staggered, since he seems to have no qualms about sending this email to me on March 12, 2003:

Hi Clay, The backs are finally finished. Both split on a seam. One worse than the other. They pulled together fine and have stayed a couple of months under different temp. conditions. I replaced the springs on the 4x5 back and exchanged the 5x7 frame on the other. The 5x7 glass frame was worn on the "loading" side so I put a nice used one on.

Refinish 4x5 back...........................150.00 4 Springs 45.00, 1 shackle 10.00 55.00 Refinish 5x7 Back ........................ 150.00 Exchange frame....................... 30.00 (new 90.00) Sub Total......................................385.00 Shipping....................................... 10.00 Total..........................................$ 395.00

I discounted the refinish price by 50.00 a back and did not charge you for the split repair. Thanks, Ken

I sent him a check immediately, which he promptly cashed, and lo, it is now almost the year of our lord 2004 and nary a back to be seen. So I am thinking that all of us who are somewhat embarrassed that we got suckered into this sort of thing might want to come clean and just keep a current posting on the LF forum about all of the paid-for but undelivered work that Ken has in his possession. This may be some encouragement for him to deliver, but at the very least, if this 'wall of shame' is kept current, he will at least not claim any new unknowing victims.

happy new year, and all the best to the real GOOD GUYS in the business such as Keith Canham and Dick Phillips.

Ken Hough

We now have a "new" Deardorff resource, it's Jack Deardorff. He's the grandson of L.F Deardorff who was THE original Deardorff and view cameras are in his genes. He can be reached at (219) 464-9748. He's building new view cameras and will repair any Deardorff. He has a new product/price list which is just what Deardorff users have been waiting for.