Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dark slide going BEHIND film

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

dark slide going BEHIND film

I had a problem this evening I had never had before. I have some older model Riteway film holders (4X5). I took a couple of shots and both times, the dark slide slid behind the film sheet when I reinserted it after exposure. One sheet I know I ruined. The other I got back to my darkroom before removing it. Is this common and is there a technique to prevent it? Thanks.

Alexis

Sounds like the film is not being properly placed in the holder to begin with. There are groves on ether side that the film will slide under to keep the film in place.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Re: dark slide going BEHIND film

Film must not have been in the slots, it fell forward during the exposure, and upon reinsertion the dark slide went behind it. It was ruined already by being out of position when exposed, probably. I've never had a problem with Riteways -- are you sure the film is full size? Even if you miss getting in the slots on one side the film usually stays put.

If the film has been loaded improperly, in the wrong slots or not in the slots, this could happen. When loading just pull the darkslides back and inch or so. Then guide the film under the film slots with thumb and finger of left hand.

I think if weather conditions cause the film to buckle severely this could happen, but never heard of it happening.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I double check for proper loading by feeling for the end of the rails with my fingers after loading each sheet. If I can't feel the end of the rails, I have mis-loaded.

I do have some Hoffman 11x14 holders that allow the film to sag enough to have the darkslide hit the film if the camera is pointed up at all-- frustrating!

Vaughn

Octogenarian

Alexis,

After you load the film into the holder, and just before you close the end flap of the holder and move the dark slide into place, flip the sheet of film upward with your finger nail.

You will be able to feel if the film is loaded under the side rails. If not loaded properly, the film will pop out.

Most modern film holders have a recessed circle under the end flap that allows a finger nail (etc.) to reach under the sheet of film when removing it from the holder.

That recessed circle can also be used to test if the film has been loaded properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I double check for proper loading by feeling for the end of the rails with my fingers after loading each sheet…
    This is one of those practical film-loading tips that few think about, but is a great way to confirm that your sheet of film is loaded properly. One can become familiar w/ how to find and feel the end of the rail (that is, its tip) w/ some practice. Just use an unloaded holder, close your eyes, and feel for the end of the rail, that is, its tip. Better, since there are two rails to check, try to find both tips on each side of the holder. Later, when you load a sheet of film for real, and load it correctly by sliding it under the two rails, you should be able to find and feel the two tips, on top of the film.

I also suggest to our students that after they have slid in the film, to slide a fingertip over to the notches of the film and wiggle the film back and forth with that finger. If it wiggles nicely, then it is loaded properly -- it also double checks to find out if one has loaded the film right-side up (and that they have pushed the film in far enough).

I have them load a piece of practice film correctly and incorrectly to be able to tell what "wiggles nicely" feels like.

I still occasionally find a piece of film inside the bellows of our 4x5 cameras (we have about 10 they can check out -- rail, wood folders and press).

PS -- Heroique..."Land-Scapegrace"...love it! Must have taken me a while to notice!

vaughn

Hello,
    Being a newbie, I have a newbie question.
    Was it easy to know that this occurred?
    How did you notice this?
    I have been shooting Fuji 4x5 instants.
    Though, this next week, I intended to learn how load sheet film to holders.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    I had a problem this evening I had never had before. I have some older model Riteway film holders (4X5). I took a couple of shots and both times, the dark slide slid behind the film sheet when I reinserted it after exposure. One sheet I know I ruined. The other I got back to my darkroom before removing it. Is this common and is there a technique to prevent it? Thanks.

Alexis

Octogenarian

Buggz,

See my suggestion in Post #6, above.