Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 1800mm APO Nikkor

Re: 1800mm APO Nikkor

Thirty years ago I worked in a color seperation house that had a process camera that would hold that 1800mm Nikkor.
    They prolly had one or something similar.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

You can grind your own faster than you can find one or work enough to buy one, if it even exists any longer. Maybe they got tossed, my former factory insisted on destroying almost everything just to keep it out of competitors, or employees hands.

There's a lens designer hanging out here, who knows how to make one...
    Tin Can

The 1780 or 1800mm lenses show up from time to time. But I've never seen one for "cheap" and that is not surprising. My estimate is that there were less than 300 made in total between Nikkor, Rodenstock, Zeiss and Goerz. After all, the application for these APO lenses was highly specialized for a small market. Possibly some of these were destroyed when the cameras were removed from the lithography houses, I know of few lenses given away for free or cheap but now everyone that has one, knows the value or is aware of the scarcity.

It's not because one can grind a lens, one can achieve what any of these three companies did many years ago. I've approached one of these companies to resurrect the design and had to "whistle" when the detailed quote came back from my colleagues.

Designs that are 30 years or so old don't have the same glass choices any longer to build these lenses from. So it is beginning from scratch with a total redesign for each element utilizing modern glass. Each and every time you require micron precision on glass that is 6" in diameter, things get expensive real quick.

So yes, like Dan said, keep dreaming ...

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    You can grind your own faster than you can find one or work enough to buy one, if it even exists any longer. Maybe they got tossed, my former factory insisted on destroying almost everything just to keep it out of competitors, or employees hands.

There's a lens designer hanging out here, who knows how to make one...

I meant buying or making are both darn near impossible for mere mortals.

ymmv
    Tin Can

It seems to me that many people like monster lenses. If periscope is acceptable, I can help. A 1000mm / 100 degree version was built. A 2000mm / 70 degree version is under construction.
    http://blog.xuite.net/fdchen/lenses/299105180