View Poll Results: Should the Private Message Limit be increased?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 45.83%
  • No

26 54.17%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Private Message Limit (Round 2)

multiplex

Re: Private Message Limit (Round 2)

don't save all sent messages, you will open up some free space

Well I'm not going to argue democracy but I don't really understand why anyone would vote no...I mean it doesn't hurt anything. If they said, you have to pay for it or something I understand but if the magic number suddenly changed to 200 or 500 tomorrow...would you all leave in disgust? I probably should have put an option for "don't care."
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

100 seems plenty to me. If I wanted to keep messages for future reference I'd save them. I really don't understand why anyone needs to store large numbers of old messages, this place is a discussion forum, it's not a replacement for Gmail.

Until we hear from Tom, we won't know the current factors that affect this issue.

But it seems to me folks are litigating outside philosophies, and that seems to a little out of scope. Entitlement mentality? Really? Can we just describe how we do (or don't) deal with the issue, without judging other approaches? After all, we all have different situations and needs.

I've run out of space a couple of times. A long message I typed to another member (and not anyone who could be accused of having an entitlement mentality) bounced because his box was full. Time wasted on my part, and information he might have wanted wasn't delivered.

Sure, we could do email. But email is a different Internet service, and the feedback forum is for asking about this service. For example, email is often unavailable to me when I'm looking in on this forum.

The forum exists to facilitate communication between large-format photographers. There's a lot of room in that statement, it seems to me.

It's a fair question, just as a reasoned "no" is a fair answer.

Rick "thinking Tom can survive without all the amicus briefs" Denney

I didn't vote because it's a non issue. If it's important enough, write the PM down on a piece of paper. I do this all the time when I don't feel like shuffling things around electronically.

This forum is a free source of information as well as a wonderful way to be in contact with a grand assortment of experienced and knowledgeable people. I'm not going to bitch and whine because I'm too lazy to find my own way to preserve "vital" PMs.

Besides, Corran, they can increase the limit to a million, you'll fill that up and want more space.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I don't know why being free has ANYTHING to do with this. The only people "bitching and whining" are the ones bitching and whining about my perfectly valid suggestion.

No I quite think a million is enough. As I mentioned way back on post #1 I post much more on another site and I currently have 3,000 PM's in my box from about 6 years of posting. No this isn't Gmail but it's nice to have all the information in one place.

+1 to Rick, he's better at saying what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Well I'm not going to argue democracy but I don't really understand why anyone would vote no...I mean it doesn't hurt anything.
    Well, it might, but only one person will be able to determine that and give the final verdict (which we must accept).

I guess many people gave you the benefit of doubt and did not interpret the question of the vote as being as rude as it was phrased, and, judging by your follow-up, probably intended. It would make more sense to answer "no" no a more open and polite question like "would a increased limit be useful for you".

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Entitlement mentality? Really?
    If you are given something for free and then you complain about it like: "I want more for free or I deserve more because it is free," sure does sound like an entitlement issue. Also, if a person is using another person's resources for making money as in selling gear through this forum and using the PM system for negotiating and completing sales, and then complains or repeatably requests for more space in which to do it then this type of person is more interested in doing business and should look towards e*ay for selling or setup their own web site for selling gear. This is a free forum--totally ad-free! I want to see it stay this way!

Long-winded response expected.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I just deleted all of my messages except one associated with a purchase I just made but haven't received yet. You guys can have my PM space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Well, it might, but only one person will be able to determine that and give the final verdict (which we must accept).

I guess many people gave you the benefit of doubt and did not interpret the question of the vote as being as rude as it was phrased, and, judging by your follow-up, probably intended. It would make more sense to answer "no" no a more open and polite question like "would a increased limit be useful for you".
    I did not intend any rudeness! I tried to make it as plain and direct as I could, no wishy-washy verbiage.

I'm sorry but this is a forum and not a conversation, and one must read it as such. Reading too much into my post is what got this thread all screwed up to begin with. Sorry, but "being polite" isn't something that comes through from words on a screen. "Would an increased limit be useful for you" is also an entirely different question with different subtext.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    If you are given something for free and then you complain about it like: "I want more for free or I deserve more because it is free," sure does sound like an entitlement issue. Also, if a person is using another person's resources for making money as in selling gear through this forum and using the PM system for negotiating and completing sales, and then complains or repeatably requests for more space in which to do it then this type of person is more interested in doing business and should look towards e*ay for selling or setup their own web site for selling gear. This is a free forum--totally ad-free! I want to see it stay this way!

Long-winded response expected.
    It's not a complaint, it's a suggestion for improvement. I believe this forum didn't have a Classifieds until requested. So why can't we ask for things? Seriously?? Furthermore, you are forgetting an entire member of a transaction - the BUYER. If I buy a lot of things, maybe I want to see my PM's stick around for a while? Or should I also setup a site to ask for what I'm looking for?

I don't think anyone is talking about making this forum NOT FREE. Why is that even in your post? If the admin needed to ask for money to increase the PM count there is probably more problems than just getting money for the extra 5kb of space needed.