View Poll Results: Should the Private Message Limit be increased?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 45.83%
  • No

26 54.17%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Private Message Limit (Round 2)

Re: Private Message Limit (Round 2)

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    How about doing away with PMs and setting it up to forward everything to your email address.
    Hey, NOW you are talking. I could easily set up a smart folder on my e-mail program to make it all work perfectly. I want, I want!

--Darin

Messages have to be stored, and storage costs money.

It's being provided free by the site owner, who obviously has the right to limit how much of it you use.

You can easily download the messages and store them on your own computer.
    The fact that you "don't want to do that" is quite childish. Start taking responsibility for your actions.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I find PMs much more convenient than email at least for forum related stuff. Nice to keep separate from my email.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

It's being provided free by the site owner, who obviously has the right to limit how much of it you use.

You can easily download the messages and store them on your own computer.
    The fact that you "don't want to do that" is quite childish. Start taking responsibility for your actions.

- Leigh
    Leigh, why do you always have to be such a curmudgeon?

The fact of the matter is, 100 PM's is very few, and the "cost of storage" for even unlimited PM's for everyone would probably be maybe an extra 10 cents a year.

This is the FEEDBACK forum. I'm pointing out what I think is a limiting factor on this website that on many occasions has proven annoying or worse. Obviously the issue was raised in the past, and the site owner/mods took action. I believe this should be looked into again.

Seriously though, I really dislike the tone of your posts towards me and many others. "Take responsibility for my actions?" You sound like a parent talking to a child still acting badly in public and not earning their keep, not a civil forum member discussing something like an adult. You aren't the forum owner or even a moderator. Your tone is almost always like you own this place.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The storage volume that might be needed for plain text messages already was nearly irrelevant when LFF started, and the free storage included in the average server fee has since been upped by two or three magnitudes. 5000 messages won't take up more space than a attached picture or two, and we currently have less restrictions on the latter than on PMs.

Originally it will have been a database/server performance issue - the site admins will have to see whether that could still be an issue. If it does not, there is no technical reason not to up the limit. They might still decide against it, as it could be considered allowing the use of the server for long-term or permanent individual communication, which might increase their (moral or legal) obligation to watch over privacy violations - which we cannot expect from a volunteer based effort.

The site allows me to turn off PMs and to turn on e-mail. If I do that will the e-mail have any indication in the subject line that it came via LFF--that is, is there a way to set up a smart folder on my side?

--Darin

O.K., just answered my own question. I turned on e-mail and e-mailed myself. The subject line reads:

Darin Boville - Large Format Photography Forum <**my e-mail address**>

That seems good enough to create a smart folder with...

Been here a lot longer than five years....and it took reading this thread to realize the feature was there. I need to go back to my remedial reading classes again.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Seriously though, I really dislike the tone of your posts towards me and many others. "Take responsibility for my actions?"
    I'm not offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Fair enough but I don't want to have to do that
    Oh well. I don't want to wash dishes. Only one way to get them clean, though.....

How frigging hard is it to copy & paste them into a folder on your own computer? If they're so valuable, just do it.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Lots of PM's usually means someone is involved with a lot of sales. As the main purpose of this site is NOT to buy and sell, why should the owner incur additional expense (if any) for those disinclined to do a little more work of maintaining their PM accounts?

I like the idea that a PM received or sent over the limit gets received or sent and "kicks out" (deletes) the oldest PM in one's inbox automatically. That would keep folks on their toes!...and one's inbox would never be full and one would always be able to receive or send new PM's! LOL!

Vaughn