View Poll Results: Should the Private Message Limit be increased?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 45.83%
  • No

26 54.17%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Private Message Limit (Round 2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Private Message Limit (Round 2)

I searched the archives and found an old thread where the PM limit was debated, and ultimately increased to 100 messages from whatever it was.

I would like to bring this issue up again. I am finding myself constantly deleting PM's due to being full. I have done a lot of buying/selling and it is nice to have an archive of important information, like specifics on the deal made, dates, time, etc. I think the 100 PM limit is very limiting and should be increased. To what? Well personally I say unlimited, but otherwise at least 500.

I know the other thread talked about server space and all that but come on, they're text, how much could they take up? I know on another forum I am very active on and have been for about 6 years I have over 3,000 PM's in my box archived. That site is also 100% independently funded and has a MUCH larger userbase than here, so I feel that the size/cost of these PM's must not be a real issue.

Thoughts??
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Private Message Limit (Round 2)

It is pretty poor and really needs changing, but sites like the UKLFPG are even worse but perhaps less important as the sites virtually dead anyway.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I searched the archives and found an old thread where the PM limit was debated, and ultimately increased to 100 messages from whatever it was.

I would like to bring this issue up again. I am finding myself constantly deleting PM's due to being full. I have done a lot of buying/selling and it is nice to have an archive of important information, like specifics on the deal made, dates, time, etc. I think the 100 PM limit is very limiting and should be increased. To what? Well personally I say unlimited, but otherwise at least 500.

I know the other thread talked about server space and all that but come on, they're text, how much could they take up? I know on another forum I am very active on and have been for about 6 years I have over 3,000 PM's in my box archived. That site is also 100% independently funded and has a MUCH larger userbase than here, so I feel that the size/cost of these PM's must not be a real issue.

Thoughts??
    It would be nice to be able to have more than a 100 pm's, but is is possible to archive your private messages.

Check the box on the right hand side of the messages you want to archive and then go down to the bottom were is say "selected messages" and there are several choice for downloading messages. I save mine as text and keep then in a folder on my hard drive.

Roger

Fair enough but I don't want to have to do that

No I don't either, but I was happy when I found the option, only took me five years on the forum to figure that out.

Roger

Been here a lot longer than five years....and it took reading this thread to realize the feature was there. I need to go back to my remedial reading classes again.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Oh well. I don't want to wash dishes. Only one way to get them clean, though.....

How frigging hard is it to copy & paste them into a folder on your own computer? If they're so valuable, just do it.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

IIRC these messages used to be large objects within the database, and a high number of these could swamp the EXT2 file system and slow down the server - but that is ancient knowledge, I haven't handled a vBulletin system (or any other LAMP server) for half a decade. Even back then, updating to a more modern journalling file system (which are default nowadays) made it a much smaller issue. The technical admins should be able to figure out whether the current system can deal with a higher PM count...

This is a free site, so how about downloading your PMs and saving them on your hard drive?

Doesn't mean they can't make it better / more functional, right?