Thread: film fridge died...

film fridge died...

Quick question -- my studio fridge managed to finally do itself in, of course while I've been out of the studio for the past month. Came back to more than a few boxes of sheet film boxes (and some 120, not to mention my last box of 4x5 sized fp120c) left soaking in condensation/ice maker meltage and starting to grow mold on the b&h labels. Uggh. I'm already resigned to the half-opened packs being toast from the water damage, but I'm hoping/thinking that the film that's still sealed in its foil should have survived ok?

Does anyone have any experiences with this? I'd obviously prefer to not crack the foil packages until I'm ready to load the film, but I want/need to know how much film I should order.

thanks!

Re: film fridge died...

I've just wiped the inner, sealed foil packets down with a mild water/bleach (1-2%) solution before reboxing the film in preparation for re freezing. No problems thus far with any of the film that's come from in those packets.

Dan

Oh, take the foil packets out of their boxes in the darkroom, just to eliminate any potential light leak issues with the foil pouches. "Just in case" type measure...

Don't saturate the envelopes, I just filled a spray bottle with the diluted solution, then sprayed it onto a paper towel before wiping down each envelope. I used a fresh paper towel for each envelope, as to contain any possible cross contamination...

Sorry to hear of your problem.

This why I have elected to not freeze my film, but to keep it about 38 degrees so I won't get a soggy meltdown.

These new fridges simply do not last forever.

I also never put open film boxes back in, once out they stay out.

Cool, thanks Dan.

If the film will be used quickly, I don't put it back in the fridge, but if I only need one or two sheets a year of a certain film type (ongoing long-term project), I tend to put the rest of the box back in the fridge...

Richard Johnson

I wouldn't freeze film, I'd use it. If I had so much that I couldn't use it all within the next two years then I'd sell it and save the money.

Buying film steadily throughout the future is the only way to prolong the market for film manufacturers. By hoarding old film, you're only hastening film's demise.

Besides color processing labs are becoming rare so unless you are also stocking up on processing chemistry and prepared to do it all yourself, what's the point?

Yes,
    Once the film is "out" and opened up, I won't re-freeze the film. Only unopened, fully sealed packages(including roll film) go into the deep freeze.
    However, if I won't be using an opened box of film, and I have a good deal to go, I might pop it back into the (fridge), inside a ziploc bag w/ a handful of the dessicant packets tossed in, and as much air squeezed out as possible.

If it's only a few sheets(like under 10), then I'll just leave it out, in the closet with my camera equipment.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Johnson View Post
    I wouldn't freeze film, I'd use it. If I had so much that I couldn't use it all within the next two years then I'd sell it and save the money.
    That's a nice thought, in theory, but there are many of us who enjoy using (now discontinued) emulsions, especially with color. I know I sure do(E100G and 160VC in particular!)

Buying film steadily throughout the future is the only way to prolong the market for film manufacturers. By hoarding old film, you're only hastening film's demise.
    Yes, and I intend to participate in (future) custom orders in order to do exactly that, further the promotion and sale of wonderful emulsions, especially color films like Ektar 100 and Portra 400.

Besides color processing labs are becoming rare so unless you are also stocking up on processing chemistry and prepared to do it all yourself, what's the point?
    Yes, good labs are becoming more scarce. No question about that. But with mail-order processing(at least here in the USA), it's easy-peasy to send out to a lab across the country, or just across town. I would much prefer to DIY, but since a (color) home darkroom isn't possible for many, sending out to a reputable lab(and there are quite a few really good ones around the country) for processing isn't super hard.

Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience...yet another reason I will not freeze film...and will not buy film that has been frozen. Good luck with your recovery efforts.

retrogrouchy

Only freeze unopened/sealed boxes of film, and put them in ziplok bags first. Don't freeze opened packs because you might get condensation damage.