Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xtol, CHS and a Jobo expert what could possibly go wrong

Xtol, CHS and a Jobo expert what could possibly go wrong

Having just discovered my deep tank of ID11 has been contaminated yet again I have decided to go down the road of one shot xtol in a Jobo expert for my 10x8 Adox CHS but kodak advise 1-1 dilution and the times on the massive dev chart only give times for 1-2 with out a mention of continuous agitation , has any one experience of this dev, film, process combo and if so what are the times and dilution that work best

thanks

alun

Re: Xtol, CHS and a Jobo expert what could possibly go wrong

I don't like Xtol under any circumstances. With thin emulstion high res films like TMX, Rollei, Efke, Adox, Delta 100, etc., your best bet would be Rodinal or whatever they call it now the Agfa isn't there. Another one shot alternative would be a dilute HC110. I've used Rodinal in anywhere from 1-25 all the way up to 1-150. I'll run one batch and if used in an hour or so, I add 10% to the basic time to develop another batch.

Lynn

Alun,

In absence of a direct recommendation from a reliable source, extrapolate as best you can from available data, and make your best guess. You haven't said which CHS (25, 50, 100) you have, so that might help to secure a recommendation. Unless you plan to print your negative in a rigid process that doesn't allow contrast control, in which case you'd need to do your own rigorous testing, you just need a ballpark estimate to get you started. My guess for CHS 100 would be 10:00, 70F.

On a related note, this film is crap, and so is this manufacturer. Do yourself a favor and choose film from a more legitimate manufacturer.

I can't give you times for Xtol but for Atomal and CHS 100, just in case you're interested. It works very nicely for me, brings out the mid tones beautifully and gives at least full speed. Any reason why you want to use Xtol for this?

I think the film itself is wonderful, but they fight with quality control issues right now. I just learned that they are seriously considering to relocate production to Germany. If they do, the price will be considerably higher but the film will be amazing.

retrogrouchy

My, what a bunch of snobbish, unhelpful answers to insult the OP's choice of both film and developer! Both are excellent products.

Anyway, I don't have times for the exact combination, but I would suggest that 9:00 at 1+1 would be a very good starting point. I use a lot of Xtol and unless pushing, my dev times all lie between 8:00 and 9:30 across a wide range of film types. I would suggest acquiring a roll of the film, shooting a bunch of test frames with known contrast ratios and spot-metered intensities and developing them for 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30.

You could do the whole BTZS thing of course but if you had the tools and inclination you probably wouldn't be asking for a time here

polyglot,

As I assume the OP is not responsible in any way for the production of Adox film, my criticism of the film can in no way reflect on him. I'm not sure how you make the connection you did. As for being helpful, I did my best given the limited information given, and according to your more experienced estimate, I wasn't far off, and since you don't know the exposure conditions, I might even be closer to correct than you are, so don't pull your arm out of socket patting yourself on the back. If you think Adox film is excellent, have at it, but I can't think of another manufacturer who defers to the Massive Development chart for processing information. Probably doesn't reflect on their QC, though. I'm sure my experience is anomalous, and Adox films are highly reliable and without defects.

Relax, Jay, not all Aussies are friendly easy going folks. I should know, I was married to ones who was not.

I think if you imagine me as smirking and sarcastic instead of scowling and angry you get a more accurate picture.

Thank you for the replies , the reason I am using CHS 100 is, for he project I am working on I want a particular feel and after testing both FP4 and CHS the CHS provided what I was after, both were processed in both a deep tank with ID11 and PMK in a expert tank, the problem with the deep tank was the cost of replacing the entire stock almost constantly as one of my assistants has a blind spot when it comes to replenisment. The only Pyro dev available in the UK is PMK which is not good in the tank , hence the interest in a one shot in the expert tank , silverprint suggested XTOL and as the massive development chart has not got much information on this films dev times at 1-1 I thought this forum might be able to provide some help, which it has . As soon as I have run some tests I will post the results

http://www.aluncrockford.com/

Some of the small gods around would do well to look at some of yours.