Thread: Broncolor 304

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Broncolor 304

Contemplating on buying a set of Broncolor 304 pack + 4 heads, but I can't find any specs for it, only that it is 1600 Ws and variable in half steps down to 1/8th. I want to know more, can it do asymmetrical ratios? And of course stuff like reload time etc. If anybody got any hints I'm all ears.

Re: Broncolor 304

I have a pack and 2 heads, great system. Lots of people think they NEED Profoto or Broncolor(modern stuff), but truth is, most people would be perfectly able to work with these older packs w/o much of the extra "crap" built into more modern power supplies.
    Lots of power. Many studios still use these because of their reliability when taken care of and not beaten to death.
    Compatible with modern Bron heads & the terrific modifiers(not the other way round(older heads on newer pack, bad things can SOMETIMES happen)). Older style modifiers are cheap and relatively plentiful for the older heads.
    Not the fastest in recycle times, but I don't shoot fashion, more tabletop-type stuff.
    Typical late 70's/early 80's simple construction.
    To ME, it'd be great to be able to turn off the annoying 'beeeeeeeep' when it recycles.
    Takes a funny fischer-style connector for the sync cable. Unless its already been modified to accept the current 1/8" or 1/4"(profoto standard) jacks.

IDK about "assymetrical", I just have a box of ND gels of varying strengths from 1/4-stop to 3 stops, so I can adjust using gels as well.

BE AWARE: extra/replacement flashtubes are EXPENSIVE(just easier to buy another used head and use the tube out of the extra head. Just an FYI before you buy

light quality is great, btw

-Dan

Re: Broncolor 304

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I have a pack and 2 heads, great system. Lots of people think they NEED Profoto or Broncolor(modern stuff), but truth is, most people would be perfectly able to work with these older packs w/o much of the extra "crap" built into more modern power supplies.
    Lots of power. Many studios still use these because of their reliability when taken care of and not beaten to death.
    Compatible with modern Bron heads & the terrific modifiers(not the other way round(older heads on newer pack, bad things can SOMETIMES happen)). Older style modifiers are cheap and relatively plentiful for the older heads.
    Not the fastest in recycle times, but I don't shoot fashion, more tabletop-type stuff.
    Typical late 70's/early 80's simple construction.
    To ME, it'd be great to be able to turn off the annoying 'beeeeeeeep' when it recycles.
    Takes a funny fischer-style connector for the sync cable. Unless its already been modified to accept the current 1/8" or 1/4"(profoto standard) jacks.

IDK about "assymetrical", I just have a box of ND gels of varying strengths from 1/4-stop to 3 stops, so I can adjust using gels as well.

BE AWARE: extra/replacement flashtubes are EXPENSIVE(just easier to buy another used head and use the tube out of the extra head. Just an FYI before you buy

light quality is great, btw

-Dan
    what does the rocker switch under the power switch do?