Thread: Copal shutter parts

Copal shutter parts

I bought a used lens with a copal #1 shutter. The small part where one screws in the shutter release cord has a broken off end of the former shutter release in it. Hence one cannot screw in the release. Does anyone know where one can get a new part and the screws that hold the part in place? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Copal shutter parts

B&H has them, or did. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Might be cheaper to buy a small left-hand drill bit and use it to back the piece out of the existing socket.
    You can't buy screw extractors that small, but the left-hand bit will do just as good a job.

Note that I'm NOT talking about drilling the piece out, but rather using the bit as a sharp wrench to unscrew it.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Heh... that reminds me. I loaned a set of screw extractors to a neighbor about two weeks ago and haven't seen them or him since. I'll bet I've "loaned" that guy a dozen tools over the last 8 months since I moved here. Yeah... typical.

I second trying a screw extractor but... if you borrow one... please return it to the owner.

Thanks for the help!!

my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    B&H has them, or did. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Might be cheaper to buy a small left-hand drill bit and use it to back the piece out of the existing socket.
    You can't buy screw extractors that small, but the left-hand bit will do just as good a job.

Note that I'm NOT talking about drilling the piece out, but rather using the bit as a sharp wrench to unscrew it.

- Leigh
    Leigh's right about the left-spiral drill. However, you'll probably not find one at the nearby "hardware" store.

If you can find a drill or even a bit of wire that fits closely in the hole of the broken piece, try super gluing it into the broken stub of the cable release. Needless to say, use only the minimun of glue on the wire/drill - you don't want to glue the thing into the shutter.

You can make a screw extractor for these tiny screws; if you have the tools it isn't any more difficult than filing a gently tapering square on a bit of drill rod, hardening it, tapping it into the hole, and turning the stub out.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.