Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very small film dryer

Re: Very small film dryer

I live in Arizona - usual problem is things drying TOO fast. Sort of like the problem of the "cold" water getting to 85 in the Summer. I've been thinking of a humidifier to slow down drying.:<))

hmm, I like it the other way around... I use carboard boxes I get from staples with fishing line and clips, and I put it right next to my boiler... maybe put it next to a humidifier? But make sure the mist isn't spraying on the film itself. An idea

You know those dessicant packs people put in shoes or beef jerky? Is there an opposite of that?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by eddy pula View Post
    You know those dessicant packs people put in shoes or beef jerky? Is there an opposite of that?
    Yep, the shoes or beef jerky prior to the desiccant packs.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan! LOL dude totally, so we should dry all our film with beef jerky from now on! I can't stop laughing!

konakoa you have impressed the sheets out of me dude... thats amazing, build me one! but for reals my cardboard boxes work almost as good and only take 5 mins!

But I went to mississippi and shot 700 sheets of hp5 over 6 weeks, and when I came home I lived in my darkroom and made like 6 carboard box drying boxes and souped and dried like 56 sheets on a good day. This is two of the pics. 2 dirty contacts the negs are fine though!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	America will rise again.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	71886

Name:	man with chicken.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	71887

I see no need for these devices. Film dries normally in the air. I have some wire that I run across the room and I use binder clips that I get from an office supply place, the number 0 or 1's to clip on the the edge of the film.

I would also say, to those that think it should go slower, that I like leaving the film in the wetting solution for about 3 minutes. I find that it actually works properly when I do that, and doesn't when I just dip it, or leave it for the recommended 30 seconds...

I hope this helps, or at least saves someone some $$....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I see no need for these devices. Film dries normally in the air.
    Yes film will dry in the air. The two big reasons for these devices are 1 to prevent dust from getting on the film and drying there and 2 to speed p the drying process.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1334384138.343516.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	71942

Simple to build and works much better then simply hanging them just anywhere.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Peters Valley Craft Center got one of the Durst film dryers - it worked very well, but the plastic bag was a hard to use. Eventually, someone got the idea to use the heater/blower components with a DIY cabinet. That was a great solution, and served both roll film and sheet film.

A few years ago I made my own DIY dryer along the same lines. I built a cabinet using MDF, with a plexiglass insert in the door to see what was happening inside. The blower is a small computer-style muffin fan. The heat source is a 200w incandescent bulb. Air flows through two filters - one is a sheet of the flexible filter material intended for window air conditioners, and the second is a conventional pleated paper furnace filter. I used a scrap of Closet-Maid wire shelving to create a rack from which I hang film using a variety of clips. It works very well - film dries in about 20 minutes, and there is no dust.

I don't see why you couldn't come up with a similar design for sheet film only. The biggest challenge would be in devising a means to hold the film in place for drying so that it isn't blown around by the flow of air, and the sheets don't touch each other.