Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very small film dryer

umop episdn

Re: Very small film dryer

Also built mine. 1/4" clear acrylic with a hinged full length front door and removable rods/hangers for 4x5 sheet or 120 roll film. The cabinet is sized to be just big enough to accommodate only 4x5 or 120 film to save space (it's not tall enough for 35mm, but then I very rarely do 35mm anymore). I'm also using a twelve volt computer fan to pull air out at the top; high quality air filter at the bottom to keep dust from being pulled in. The little white tray is a Paterson 5x7 to collect drips. Film dries without heat in four hours or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	film-cabinet.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	70945

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    Also built mine. 1/4" clear acrylic with a hinged full length front door and removable rods/hangers for 4x5 sheet or 120 roll film. The cabinet is sized to be just big enough to accommodate only 4x5 or 120 film to save space (it's not tall enough for 35mm, but then I very rarely do 35mm anymore). I'm also using a twelve volt computer fan to pull air out at the top; high quality air filter at the bottom to keep dust from being pulled in. The little white tray is a Paterson 5x7 to collect drips. Film dries without heat in four hours or so.

Name:	film-cabinet.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	70945
    Nice job, how hard was it ti build?

Roger

My simple dryer is a real desktop. Only for 4x5, takes 16 sheets comfortably and 20 with care. Film is dry after about 10 hours, it is more overnight type of dryer. Not fast but dust safe. Cost about $15. Important is to use threaded type of the thinnest rod you can get in Home Depot or similar outlets. This makes hangers steady and keeps all sheets parallel. They do not touch each other, one can even move whole box without any disaster.

Name:	Dryer_500w.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	70956

I have a small Kindermann dryer that has a very small footprint. I'll try and post a photo if I can but there should be images out in the wild somewhere. Basically it can handle 2 steel reels and blows unheated filtered air UP. I alternate between this and the Senrac depending on how many rolls I have and how fast I need them dried.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

A DIY solution could include a hanging box (plastic food storage container, or hard rubber Kodak tank) resting on top of a garden variety warming tray. The hanging box could have holes drilled in the bottom/sides/top to improve airflow.

Warming tray: http://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTWTLS.../dp/B002FWMJI2

Could be built for $20 or less by sourcing the warming tray from a thrift shop our your kitchen.

umop episdn

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Nice job, how hard was it ti build?

Roger
    Not hard at all. The only tricky part was the acrylic solvent glue. The stuff is incredibly thin so it's difficult to precisely place it just in the joints. Inadvertent drips and puddles of the solvent on the acrylic mar the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    Not hard at all. The only tricky part was the acrylic solvent glue. The stuff is incredibly thin so it's difficult to precisely place it just in the joints. Inadvertent drips and puddles of the solvent on the acrylic mar the finish.
    It's real nicely and cleverly done. I wish I had time to attempt something similar based on your pics, may be in future.
    Jerzy

retrogrouchy

I built one like konakoa's except it's made of 12mm plywood instead of acrylic and the fan blows down instead of up. Mine has a little plenum at the top with a rectangular car-engine air-filter between the plenum and the film chamber; a 10" bathroom exhaust-fan is mounted on the top of the whole thing to force air down through the filter and towards the film. A grid of 10mm holes drilled in the floor of the film chamber let the air escape. Because the (unfiltered) escape holes are at the bottom and the filter+fan are at the top, dust doesn't settle in it while it's in storage. Mine is sized (about 400x400x1200 WxDxH) to take 16 rolls of 120 but if you only need to dry sheet film, you could make it very small. Mine dries 8 rolls in 1-2 hours without heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudgey View Post
    Im looking for a 4x5 film dryer, nice desk top size, not the long roll film cabinets we all know.
    Do they exist or is it a DIY job?
    Funny you should be asking that one, that's my next wee project!

Basing mine on the footprint of 2 combiplan film holders - one of the smaller Ikea boxes suffices. Can't remember who it was on ebay, but I purchased 2 hepa filters. a wee trip to screwfix buys an extract fan. Cut hole for filters on lid, hole for extract on one side, using the finest sticky back plastic in your most favourite Blue Peter presenter style. Et Voila one compact and bijou film dryer. (Just joking about stick back plastic hot melt glue gun or other such adhesive will suffice).

Quote Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
    Funny you should be asking that one, that's my next wee project!

Basing mine on the footprint of 2 combiplan film holders - one of the smaller Ikea boxes suffices. Can't remember who it was on ebay, but I purchased 2 hepa filters. a wee trip to screwfix buys an extract fan. Cut hole for filters on lid, hole for extract on one side, using the finest sticky back plastic in your most favourite Blue Peter presenter style. Et Voila one compact and bijou film dryer. (Just joking about stick back plastic hot melt glue gun or other such adhesive will suffice).
    I look forward to see how you get on Dkirk, can you post some images and 'how to' when do are done?
    http://www.architecturalphotos.net