Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Very small film dryer

Re: Very small film dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Yes film will dry in the air. The two big reasons for these devices are 1 to prevent dust from getting on the film and drying there and 2 to speed p the drying process.
    Of course. It takes about 45 mins for film to dry around here. If that's too long for some, I see no reason not to add a little heat - but I don't think it should be a device that's considered necessary for every darkroom, or that one can't develop film without it. I've developed a lot of film in my time (50years worth) and I think I used one once...

Further, most of the devices I see have fans and I don't see how moving air around will result in less dust... unless there is a lot of filtering...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzy Pawlowski View Post
    My simple dryer is a real desktop. Only for 4x5, takes 16 sheets comfortably and 20 with care. Film is dry after about 10 hours, it is more overnight type of dryer. Not fast but dust safe. Cost about $15. Important is to use threaded type of the thinnest rod you can get in Home Depot or similar outlets. This makes hangers steady and keeps all sheets parallel. They do not touch each other, one can even move whole box without any disaster.
    Attachment 70956
    Jerry what kind of clips are those? They look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Jerry what kind of clips are those? They look cool.
    There are two types. One larger white is Paterson, I got them in a package while buying used darkroom stuff, no idea whether still manufactured. These are very good for roll film (come in pairs: light for top and heavier for the bottom) however work for sheets as well.
    The other type, stainless steel, is Delta I purchased recently from B&H. I like Delta more for hanging 4 x 5 film. They have very thin top, therefore they do not rotate while hanging on threaded rod. Link for B&H description:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilm_Clips.html , you can get them also in 100 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy pula View Post
    But I went to mississippi and shot 700 sheets of hp5 over 6 weeks...
    Jesus, where did you find so many holders! I have ten and I thought I had a lot/plenty!!

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    I'm looking to start processing film at home, and a dryer was the missing link. I work on both, 35mm and 4x5. Most of what's suggested here is for 4x5. I like konakoa's dryer, but even his is not tall enough for 35mm. I guess I could always make it taller.

Konakoa, do you have step-by-step instructions on how to build one? I would probably do without the fan. Basically, I would be putting together an enclosure. I can wait for the film to dry naturally.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	81463

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	81463
    Yes, something as simple as that definitely works, but how do you deal with the dust?

Keep the room clean. This is the room i use for my finishing room

Also use of hardener with the fixer, it hardens the emulsion enough to make it imune to dust embedding on neg. I also use photo-flo properly mixed with distilled water; which i use with all of my photo chemicals.. I also have a electrostatic air cleaner in the room.....

i would say hardener in the fixer is the best solution. without it.... dust would stick to the emulsion...

i use an anti-static cloth on dry negs to get rid of the dust.

I really do not have a major problem with dust.. but i follow strict procedures when getting a neg ready to scan.

wipe with special cloth... mount negs in scan holder... blow off with air that the air nozzle that is grounded. View neg in holder on scanner with oblique light looking for any dust i missed. Used to do the same procedure when putting the neg into my Beseler enlarger....

yea my 4x5s have some dust and lint from ambient air after dryer ... but the developing procedure i use makes it not a problem.... just dust before sleeving negs with dehumidified grounded clean air......LOL friend of mine bought a compressor and started blowing off his negs .... but had the pressure to high and did not think to get a filter..... he sand blasted his negs with fine rust coming from the tank....LOL what a mess ..... you dont need much pressure and MAKE SURE its has a filter on it......better than buying the canned stuff.....

I have several little air compressors used in photofinishing ... maybe i should consider selling them.....

umop episdn

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Konakoa, do you have step-by-step instructions on how to build one? I would probably do without the fan. Basically, I would be putting together an enclosure. I can wait for the film to dry naturally.
    PM sent to you Macandal.