Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you shoot Black and White over Color?

Re: Why do you shoot Black and White over Color?

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Greg Lockrey: "Ok... how about this: a "photographer" is a mechanically inclined "artist" .... " Totally, I agree that they should be....I have seen work that suffers greatly from a lack of mechanical inclination. There is not doubt in my mind that to be a successful photographer one must be somewhat mechanically inclined, its probably part of the reason many of us gravitate toward photography in the first place.

and the fact that most photographers can't draw....
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Greg Lockrey: "and the fact that most photographers can't draw...."

Ha! totally
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

William McEwen: "Art is concerned about space. Illustration is concerned about things." - Martha, Michael A. Smith's first wife.

Interesting quote...I'm curious if you might elaborate what you understand it as meaning. I ask because I am having a bit of a hard time deciphering it. I guess I don't understand the distinction between 'space' and 'things.' The way I see it 'things' are just solidified 'space'....and 'space' is just that which is void of 'things.' This may be another discussion........
    I hesitate. I doubt I can word it any better than she did...

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    I hesitate. I doubt I can word it any better than she did...
    Fair enough.

I suppose I just don't believe that art cannot be concerned with things (objects) and illustration cannot be concerned with space. Seems like an arbitrary distinction to me, and thus a quote that doesn't really tell me anything. I may be missing something....
    ----------------------

William McEwen: "Art is concerned about space. Illustration is concerned about things." - Martha, Michael A. Smith's first wife.

Interesting quote...I'm curious if you might elaborate what you understand it as meaning. I ask because I am having a bit of a hard time deciphering it. I guess I don't understand the distinction between 'space' and 'things.' The way I see it 'things' are just solidified 'space'....and 'space' is just that which is void of 'things.' This may be another discussion........
    I guess it is along the same lines as saying that I photograph light. Some might argue that all photographers do, I would say that most do not -- they photograph things. A subtle but important difference. And the difference is not of the material world, but the mental world of the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    It amazes me how insecure photographers are about their art work. "Is black and white more artistic then color?" "Am I more of an artist because I develop myself?". Maybe it's feelings of insecurity because you're not painting?

Most of my artistic background comes from music. I played guitar in metal bands when I was younger, then DJ'd professionally during the rave scene hay days in San Francisco. In the music world you hear the same sort of insecure comments from veteran DJs now - "I'm more of an artist because I use vinyl instead of computers". My response is A) you're still not playing an instrument b) it doesn't effing matter - do you enjoy what you do? Do others? GREAT!. I hear the same thing from guys that play in punk bands - they look down on electronic musicians because they "don't play real instruments". Dude, you're whole musical movement was based on getting completely AWAY from the virtuosity of hard rock, and you can't play a decent solo to save your life. However, it doesn't effing matter. Just enjoy your art, and let others enjoy theirs. Your art is no better.

By contrast, my friends that are comfortable with their musical abilities tend to be much more open minded about other forms of music creation. A guy that plays metal has no problem jamming with a jazz musician, or an electronic one. They just want to play anything they can get their hands on.
    This whole reply makes me several kinds of happy.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Praslowicz View Post
    This whole reply makes me several kinds of happy.
    Agreed...and makes me want to listen to metal...
    ----------------------

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    "Art is concerned about space. Illustration is concerned about things." - Martha, Michael A. Smith's first wife.
    Let me put it this way:
    "Hey, Mike! Michelangelo! Yeah, you, Simoni! That David is just an illustration! Nyah nyah nyah nyah!"
    Are astronauts and cosmonauts the only true artists? Is NASA the only truly artistic agency? Is astrophotography the only truly artistic photography?

At one time "art" was only applied to that which had to be performed. The art of music, the art of discourse, and so on. An inanimate object was not art, but an object produced by an artisan. (That's how I look at it. The print is not art, it is a print produced by a person performing the art of printing.)

Who was the artist? Salvador Dali, Michael Escher, or Vincent van Gogh? By the definition above, van Gogh wasn't producing art. How about Pablo Picaso? Was he an illustrator or an artist? Was Auguste Rodin an artist? Can any sculptor be an artist?

Since the Dada movement has basically overwhelmed everything, why bother making the distinction between art and illustration?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Brian C. Miller: "why bother making the distinction between art and illustration?"

I couldn't agree more!
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    It amazes me how insecure photographers are about their art work.
    Me, too.

As well as threads like this ...