Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Why do you shoot Black and White over Color?

Re: Why do you shoot Black and White over Color?

This may sound screwy, but ...

A few years ago, at a younger than usual age, I developed cataracts.

My ophthamalogist operated both eyes a month apart, replacing the natural lenses with plastic ones. When he removed the dressing from the first operated eye, I was amazed to discover that what I saw through the remaining "natural" lens was like looking through a yellow filter. He explained that human natural lenses tend to take on a yellow color. This effect, he said, manifests itself in the colors used by painters who work into their old age.

When the second natural lens was removed, my perception of color changed, but so did my perception of contrast.

And now, I don't "see" well in color. I "see" better in black and white. My wife, who still has her natural lenses, "sees" better in color than I do.

So I shoot black and white because when I tried to shoot color it just doesn't look right.

God bless those of you who can do both.

/s/ David
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    "Making tomorrow's memories by
    capturing today's happiness" (R)

Quote Originally Posted by David Beal View Post
    This may sound screwy, but ...

A few years ago, at a younger than usual age, I developed cataracts.

My ophthamalogist operated both eyes a month apart, replacing the natural lenses with plastic ones. When he removed the dressing from the first operated eye, I was amazed to discover that what I saw through the remaining "natural" lens was like looking through a yellow filter. He explained that human natural lenses tend to take on a yellow color. This effect, he said, manifests itself in the colors used by painters who work into their old age.

When the second natural lens was removed, my perception of color changed, but so did my perception of contrast.

And now, I don't "see" well in color. I "see" better in black and white. My wife, who still has her natural lenses, "sees" better in color than I do.

So I shoot black and white because when I tried to shoot color it just doesn't look right.

God bless those of you who can do both.

/s/ David
    My Ophthalmologist said that when you get an interocular lens your color perception and contrast perception actually gets much better and more accurate due to the lens being perfectly clear.

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post

I fully agree that many photographers are insecure about their work and its a shame. I'm not sure what you intended by your second comment, but I assure you that my reason for starting this thread is not insecurity. . . . I have said for years that your favorite photographer should be yourself, and I can honestly say that I am my own favorite photographer. I prefer my work to that of anyone else. If that is not the case, than you are doing something wrong and should look at why you do the work that you do. However, that is not to say that you cannot have influences and others that admire.
    Adam,

I was not going to enter into this discussion; but your statement here prods me into tricky territory. After looking at your website and reading your "artist's statement" I think that your lack of self-doubt is without justification. You'll never go anywhere as an artist without some attitude reappraisal. I strongly recommend insecurity. It is of great benefit to artists. Concerning your failure to understand black-and-white photography, you'll never understand it if you don't see your own work as part (i.e., an extremely small part) of photography's artistic history and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    After looking at your website and reading your "artist's statement" I think that your lack of self-doubt is without justification.
    I can't comment on Adam's insecurity or lack thereof, but I consider his statement and his images highly relevant and very enjoyable.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Sorry for the long winded question, but as a devout color shooter I am just trying to understand......
    Only you can answer your question, I believe.

I would just comment that -- to me -- this image (to take just one example from your portfolio) might work as well or better in black and white:

http://adamsatushek.com/photo.php?id=36

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    I can't comment on Adam's insecurity or lack thereof, but I consider his statement and his images highly relevant and very enjoyable.

Michael
    I agree. Really enjoyed looking at the work. And, despite my comment above, I see no need to shoot any differently than what he does. It just becomes about personal choices.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

David Beal: "My ophthamalogist operated both eyes a month apart, replacing the natural lenses with plastic ones. When he removed the dressing from the first operated eye, I was amazed to discover that what I saw through the remaining "natural" lens was like looking through a yellow filter. He explained that human natural lenses tend to take on a yellow color. This effect, he said, manifests itself in the colors used by painters who work into their old age."

This is very interesting! Its fascinating how people perceive differently.....it really makes me wonder how my perception differs from others.

Michael Alpert: "I was not going to enter into this discussion; but your statement here prods me into tricky territory. After looking at your website and reading your "artist's statement" I think that your lack of self-doubt is without justification. You'll never go anywhere as an artist without some attitude reappraisal. I strongly recommend insecurity. It is of great benefit to artists. Concerning your failure to understand black-and-white photography, you'll never understand it if you don't see your own work as part (i.e., an extremely small part) of photography's artistic history and culture."

I apologize if I came off as full of myself....it truly was not my intent, and I am not full of myself. As to my supposed 'lack of self doubt,' again it was not my intent to come off like that, I doubt myself and my work constantly. All I was trying to get at in earlier posts is that I have arrived at the method and materials that I think best suits the work I like to make. The whole purpose of this thread was to try to understand why others choose the materials and methods they do. I don't 'fail' to understand black and white photography, I understand it as a conscious choice and was just trying get a better handle on what may lead one to make that choice. As to my 'artist's statement' I am not here to defend it or my work or my ideas, if you would like to discuss and critique this in greater depth I would be happy to do so over PM. I'm not sure where you got the impression that I don't see my work as part of photography's artistic history and culture. And it my be a 'small part' of that history as you state, but I would argue that it is not extremely small. There are a lot of us who admire and strive to follow many of the early color shooters.

Thank you Michael E, and John NYC for your compliments!

Just a general clarification, this thread was not intended as an attack on anyone who chooses to shoot black and white, or an attempt to justify my own choices in materials (or my work). They are both conscious decisions by the shooter that I am trying to better understand. Partly due to the fact that I am nervous (mainly because of the Kodak situation) that my preferred material (4x5 and 8x10 color neg) might not be available too much longer. (This is of course speculation, and hopefully my concerns are unfounded). But should that day arise...I will have to make decisions and I would like them to be well informed.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed and has voiced their opinions! I feel I have come away from this better informed.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

I'm sure this has been said before but LATITUDE AND ATTITUDE brother!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1a looking at prints gang.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	71898

Smile Re: Why do you shoot Black and White over Color?

I m very new to photography , i have no idea where to get help for becoming professional photographer.any help or suggestions would be appreciated.