Thread: federal enlarger model 311

federal enlarger model 311

Hi there, I'm new here so I hope someone can answer this. I just inherited my grandmothers old Federal enlarger model 311. It seems to be in good working order, but has no lenses or filters. Can anyone tell me where I might find a lens and filter kit for this model? I hope so as I would realy like to use it (family tradition you know) If anyone can help me with any information on this, or anything else related to this enlarger, please contact me at my e-mail. Thanks, Robert M. Reed mindenboy2002@yahoo.com

Enlarging lenses by the hundreds can be found on ebay. You need to know what size threads the Federal's lensboard has. Standard lenses are 39mm. Show us a photo of the beast.

Your best bet is probably to make a lens board to fit whatever lens you care to use. The board on my Federal 219, which looks pretty similar (recently retired in favor of a Solar 57) is a 2 5/8 inch square piece of stamped metal with a small hole (approx 20mm - where did I put the caliper?) for the lens. You could probably make a lensboard and cut it for the lens you want to use more readily than you could find a lens to fit. The standard lens was an f/6.3 anastigmat. According to Minicam magazine, September, 1947, the model 312 incorporated a filter carrier in the negative carrier. Not sure if that was also in the model 311, but I am guessing that the change in model number reflects the design change. I used a below the lens filter holder on my model 219 and still do on the Solar 57.

Re: federal enlarger model 311

Quote Originally Posted by robert reed
    Hi there, I'm new here so I hope someone can answer this. I just inherited my grandmothers old Federal enlarger model 311. It seems to be in good working order, but has no lenses or filters. Can anyone tell me where I might find a lens and filter kit for this model? I hope so as I would realy like to use it (family tradition you know) If anyone can help me with any information on this, or anything else related to this enlarger, please contact me at my e-mail. Thanks, Robert M. Reed mindenboy2002@yahoo.com
    This is like digging up a ghost from the past. Are you still looking for this equipment? I have a Model 312 that I am in the process of selling. It has two lenses and a couple of filter sets. It also has everything else to process B&W film.