Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarging lens?

Enlarging lens?

What is everybody's favorite enlarging lens, in particular for 4x5 enlargements? I have a 150 Schneider Componon-S, and would like to know if there are sharper lenses available.

Thanks

Fred

Drew Wiley

Re: Enlarging lens?

If you're looking for another 150 the Apo-Rodagon is much better. But longer focal
    lengths will provide a more even field of illumination. The 180 Rodagon is a very nice lens at reasonable price. The EL-Nikkors are generally quite good. Just depends
    on your budget and luck. The Fuji EX is somtimes a bargain. All of these lenses are
    sharper than the Componon S. If you've got five grand and a lot of patience you might even acquire a 210 Apo EL-Nikkor, but I doubt it would improve your actual
    enlargements enough to be worth the difference.

150 Schneider Apo Componon is a great enlarging lens for 4x5.

EL Nikkor 150 for 4x5. I use a Schneider 240 for 8x10's.

Eric Woodbury

The El Nikkor 150 or 135. I like the big numbers. I have and use the German lenses, too, and I cannot tell the difference in image quality.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I use the Computar DL 135. Haven't tried anything else but so far I'm satisfied with image quality.

Octogenarian

The Schneider Componon-S is rated as an excellent enlarging lens. The El-Nikkor and the Rodenstock Rodagon are slightly more contrasty, giving the impression of greater sharpness.

If your particular lens does not seem sharp enough, perhaps it it dirty or fogged.

The most common cause of lack of sharpness is an enlarger that is out of alignment.

Check for enlarger vibration. Be sure your enlarger is mounted firmly on a solid platform.

Last, but not least, make certain that your focusing scope is adjusted to your eye.

When setting up my darkroom, I acquired a large number of lenses of different lengths and makes and tested them to arrive at my final selections. I found that there could be as much difference between lenses of the same make and model as between those of different manufacturers. I ended up with EL-Nikkors, Componon-Ss, and an APO-Rodagon. Probably the most sharp and contrasty lens I tested was a Computar, but the center was much better than the edges so I kept it to use as a macro lens

Just an observation....I have noticed that when these discussions come up (on enlarging lenses or taking lenses) people who like Rodenstock lenses just declare that they are better than Schneider and all others as though this was settled as fact by some international commission of Nobel optics laureates. (See discussions of 135mm taking lenses, for many examples.) But people who have and like Schneider lenses rarely, rarely make similar declarations.

I use many from both companies and like them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Braakman View Post
    What is everybody's favorite enlarging lens, in particular for 4x5 enlargements? I have a 150 Schneider Componon-S, and would like to know if there are sharper lenses available.

Thanks

Fred
    150 Schneider Componon-S