Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

Re: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Pity you didn't spend any time explaining your obligation.
    How about answering the questions I posed in post #64 above, to wit:
    "Why should my policy as stated above differ for sales threads vs. threads in any other section of LFPF?
    Aren't we all here to exchange information?"

As others have stated, this is a community.

Its members have an obligation to convey information, and to protect each other
    from potential problems, particularly those that might cost money.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...no social skills were acquired in the one hour and one minute since Leigh pointed out that he lacks them.
    Since I've not acquired any in the last seven decades, I doubt an hour will make any difference.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    While we're at it, could we ban "PM sent"? That's like a dog pissing on a rock.
    Will's right. That's really annoying.

I'm pulled both ways on the question at hand. I agree with Darin that this is a community, and if people are taken advantage of then that hurts the community. On the other hand, if you don't know about an item, ask someone, google the item, check KEH, and look at completed Ebay listings. Those are basic net skills. Perhaps someone should write a buying faq that newbies can be pointed to.

Like Frank, I'll occasionally make a positive comment on an item. I do so honestly, and it lets possible buyers know that I know about that item. They can always pm me with a question. I don't see the harm
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I just have to say, this is the most enjoyable, reasoned debate I've seen in a long time. I went to sleep with it and woke up and its still going. My favorite was the guy who saw the "Moderators" as a secret, cabalistic clique; puppetmasters secretly controlling everything! That was great!

But, according to the moderators, you both won! If you read their posts you will see that no change in the way they moderate is contemplated. They will continue to police the for sale section in exactly the fashion they have in the past, they have merely published their metric, so than in a dispute they can point to the reason they delete or modify a post. The first step in civilization was the codification and publication of law; before that, and in some places today, the public had no idea what the law or rule for the day was.

For those who object to unjustified critical comments, they can be reassured that the moderators will still remove those when they find them, just as they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    While we're at it, could we ban "PM sent"?
    Posting that comment establishes your place in line, and documents the fact that a communication was initiated.

It just prevents the seller from saying "Sorry, prior PM received, so I can't sell to you."

Also, in the case of multiple items in a single post, it tells other interested parties which items are under offer.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Posting that comment establishes your place in line, and documents the fact that a communication was initiated.

It just prevents the seller from saying "Sorry, prior PM received, so I can't sell to you."

Also, in the case of multiple items in a single post, it tells other interested parties which items are under offer.

- Leigh
    It also discourages additional inquiries and hampers the sale. Pros and cons both ways but I never appreciated getting them. Half the time it's some lowballer wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    It only does so if everyone makes such a post, which they don't, thank goodness.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It also discourages additional inquiries and hampers the sale. Pros and cons both ways but I never appreciated getting them. Half the time it's some lowballer wasting your time.
    If the PM exchange does not result in a sale, you can always post Still Available in the thread and get a free bump.

- Leigh

Freedom of speech?

This is a privately owned and funded forum. We have no rights here though some might think we do. I agree with Ken's post though I'm sure all of the mods were involved.

Don't kill the golden goose for selling items here!

I know probably just about all of the sellers are honest and try to place a price on items that will make them the most money and have a reasonable chance of selling. There are sooo many bargains being offered here these days. Where is the beef? Seriously why do we think we should get to set standards or rules or lobby to do so by posting in long winded discussions.

If you don't like the forum rules then just go away - quietly.

I don't think it's anybody's business what a seller asks for something or whether he or she makes a mistake in the listing or anything else. People can't make public comments on ebay about items being sold, they can't make public comments in Craig's List, they can't make public comments in newspaper classified ads, etc. I see no reason why the classified ads here should be any different. I don't think any comments - positive, negative, or even "PM Sent" - should be allowed. When an item is sold the seller can post "sold" and that's all that's needed. If you have a problem with a price or description or anything else send a private message to the seller, there's no need to tell the world what you think about someone else's ad.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.