Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Good point, but I believe it is better to be polite first, then nail them, if needed.
    And exactly how would you "nail them"?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    And exactly how would you "nail them"?

- Leigh
    Please see two posts above yours, thank you.

There are several problems here. One is in distinguishing between "the letter of the law", and "the spirit of the law". The relatively innocuous wording of the rule makes it easy to overlook if the "spirit" is not considered; if we don't ask, why is the rule needed, and what does the rule do? Apparently, the rule is needed because sellers are being harmed in some way, though it's not been established who the sellers are, or how they've been harmed. Another problem is in the wording of the rule, which identifies rudeness and politeness as guiding parameters. As such, the rule could be pared down to, "Don't be an ass!", which would cover just about everything, and nothing in specific.

Just because a few, self-important people post in a For Sale thread that they think the price is out of line, the equipment is junk, whatever, doesn't justify the institution of seller protection. If the market stops working because of a few jackass comments, it's not a very stable market. How many members aren't already ignoring MDM, for instance? This rule is evidence of the proximity to center of one or more complaining sellers, and little more. It's an insult to potential buyers, who are told they can look out for themselves, but sellers need special protection, however toothless that protection might be. It's divisive, unfair, thoughtless, and just plain bad policy.

I read the situation 180 degrees from you, Jay. But that is what makes the forum interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I read the situation 180 degrees from you, Jay. But that is what makes the forum interesting!
    In that case, I'm probably 180 degrees off! It seems like they're trying to legislate morality, or at least good manners, and I don't think that works, but what do I know? You can pretty safely ignore everything I write.

I don't think the new rule is for the benefit of the sellers. I think current practice by the mods is to maintain civility, and that means something different in the for-sale forum, just as it means something different still in the lounge. This just gives the mods more standing to do what they've already been doing.

Rick "thinking the mods are mostly concerned about making the work they do easier" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    ... You can pretty safely ignore everything I write.
    Heck no! You always have strongly held and interesting points of views!

Jay it's all set up to keep the blue collar working class photographers groveling and to exploit their labors to the maximum extent possible. The sellers are all Robber Barons, that's why all the "shipping-from" addresses are from Newport, the Hamptons, Malibu, etc. The whole things been a conspiracy since the get-go, QT is just a front for the Jewish Kabal that runs the world's finances.

Frank - You're getting very close to ruining this "Large Format" scam! I guess we're going to have to pay you even more to remain silent. The only way to do that, is to charge people double what they pay now in membership dues.