Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

Re: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

You guys all know that a month from now no one will really care, right?

I quoteth Shakespeare- "Much ado about nothing!"

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Freedom of speech?

This is a privately owned and funded forum. We have no rights here though some might think we do.
    [...]
    Seriously why do we think we should get to set standards or rules or lobby to do so by posting in long winded discussions.

If you don't like the forum rules then just go away - quietly.
    Well, no - that is not the way a community works. A forum/bar/club is as much defined by its regulars as by the host or the designer, and its success will depend on how civilized all of them manage to negotiate the rules. "Go away quietly" doesn't cut it, unless you have ways and means to force your subjects to stay within the boundaries of your kingdom - lacking a border police, any forum will quietly bleed to death if it fails to achieve a balance between the interests of the operators and users.

I remember the early nineties, at the very start of the internet, when many BBS sysops got a rush of "we are the net and you all are newbies" megalomania and started to sport a "accept my rules or go away" attitude - which pretty much killed off the whole BBS thing (and many core structures of the Fido network) on the spot, several years before the Internet could provide a substitute in the form of web forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Well, no - .
    Well actually yes. There are no free speech rights here.

It is not a matter of rights - indeed, freedom of speech mostly is not. Many European countries, including the UK, have nothing even remotely resembling a constitutional right to freedom of speech, but it nonetheless is a universally accepted concept - among individuals as well as between a state and its subjects.
    Last edited by Sevo; 27-Mar-2012 at 09:25.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I go to "The Lounge" when I want to exercise free speech, not "For Sale".

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I will gladly pass the ~10% savings to a fellow LFPF member rather than giving it to eBay.
    And I have been known to knowingly SPEND more to buy an item from a forum member that I could get it "Buy it Now" on eBay, simply because I was familiar with the seller's reputation. I had a greater faith on what I would receive here. I always try here first when I'm looking to buy something.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Freedom of speech is defined by the Constitution. The Constitution dictates how the government and agents of the government behave toward citizens....it does not impact how we behave toward one another. If I search your computer remotely, I have not violated the Fourth Amendment because I am not employed by the government either tacitly or implicitly. If the owners of this forum wanted to make a rule stating that we could only express opinions if we filled out the appropriate forms and submitted them for approval three weeks in advance, they would be within their legal rights. They wouldn't have very many members (and those they had would likely wear a swastika beneath their underwear), but they would be within their rights. What say we all just go back to making pictures and having fun?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    And I have been known to knowingly SPEND more to buy an item from a forum member that I could get it "Buy it Now" on eBay, simply because I was familiar with the seller's reputation. I had a greater faith on what I would receive here. I always try here first when I'm looking to buy something.
    Ditto.

Sometimes people don't know exactly what they are selling and make an honest mistake in misrepresenting it. I think most people, in that event, would rather be corrected before the sale than complete the sale of a misrepresented item.

Hopefully the new rule, if upheld by the court, won't prevent that sort of (public but polite) correction that currently occurs. Forcing those corrections to be via PMs will inhibit the process.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    ...Forcing those corrections to be via PMs will inhibit the process.
    Why do you believe this to be true?

I think it will enhance the process. Someone who will not make the correction after being PM'ed politely, will be suspect -- those who made an honest mistake will correct the situation on their own post.