Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

Re: Mistake: new rule about FS comments

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I just have to say, this is the most enjoyable, reasoned debate I've seen in a long time. I went to sleep with it and woke up and its still going. My favorite was the guy who saw the "Moderators" as a secret, cabalistic clique; puppetmasters secretly controlling everything! That was great!

But, according to the moderators, you both won! If you read their posts you will see that no change in the way they moderate is contemplated. They will continue to police the for sale section in exactly the fashion they have in the past, they have merely published their metric, so than in a dispute they can point to the reason they delete or modify a post. The first step in civilization was the codification and publication of law; before that, and in some places today, the public had no idea what the law or rule for the day was.

For those who object to unjustified critical comments, they can be reassured that the moderators will still remove those when they find them, just as they have in the past.

Tim,

I assume you're referring to me. To clarify, I never suggested the Moderators are secret, since we all know who they are, or cabalistic, since their doctrine is also well known, and I certainly never suggested they are puppet masters controlling everything, secretly or otherwise. I simply suggested they are more accurately described as a Core Group than as Moderators, which implies a different set of priorities than exhibited. You need only read Sal's contribution to this thread for a very clear example of what I mean.

I agree publication of policy is good practice, and especially so when it's open to comment and review, which is what's happening here. No need to put words into my mouth or otherwise muddy the waters.

re: "PM sent".

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Posting that comment establishes your place in line
    No it doesn't. Most sellers consider their email inbox the "line" (or "queue" for you Brits and programmers).
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

And besides, a seller can sell to whomever they want to, the order doesn't matter in a casual sale such as these - and the actual timeline is obscured from everyone but the seller anyway. I would definitely sell to a nicer, more pleasant later buyer than some obnoxious earlier buyer.

I agree with Darin's OP, repeal the new rule. The rule only helps semi-professional sellers and not the community at large. It will be a can of worms.

Blatant rudeness can be controlled without the new rule.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Sorry Jay, I didn't mean to offend. I just love a good conspiracy theory, and when you started talking about the Inner Core and outer rings I couldn't resist. I do get your point, but I think of the moderators more as a group of like-minded friends, who created and maintain the forum out of love for the art and science of photography.

I like this place. People are polite and gracious, at least compared to any other forum I have even been on. Probably has to do with average age (only here would I be considered a spring chicken at 53). Only here would someone laugh when I told of standing in a surging crown at a political rally in Rangoon, hand-holding an Ikeda Anba 4x5 over my head trying to get a shot with guesstimate aim and guesstimate focus, and the person next to me asked, in a quite difficult accent, "Is that a Hasselblad?"

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    It just prevents the seller from saying "Sorry, prior PM received, so I can't sell to you."
    No it does not. The seller still chooses to whom he sells the item.

When I've used it, I just want the seller to know he has a PM. I don't always see when I have PMs waiting, and I figure others may not, either. Seeing the notice has no effect on my behavior. More than once the first buyer fell through and I got the item.

Rick "not bothered by what he chooses to ignore" Denney

(only here would I be considered a spring chicken at 53)
    &*^%$ kids!

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    I don't agree. When someone is selling a lens for $800 that normally sells online for $300...prospective buyers should be informed of such. That's not rude....it's saving someone from making a mistake.
    I think it's up to the individual to do their research on the price of an item. If that means asking a question here (out of the For Sale forum), that's fine. I don't think people should be poking their conk in.

I like this place. People are polite and gracious...
    Hmmm...

I'm obviously not posting enough.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Sorry Jay, I didn't mean to offend. I just love a good conspiracy theory, and when you started talking about the Inner Core and outer rings I couldn't resist. I do get your point, but I think of the moderators more as a group of like-minded friends, who created and maintain the forum out of love for the art and science of photography.

I like this place. People are polite and gracious, at least compared to any other forum I have even been on. Probably has to do with average age (only here would I be considered a spring chicken at 53). Only here would someone laugh when I told of standing in a surging crown at a political rally in Rangoon, hand-holding an Ikeda Anba 4x5 over my head trying to get a shot with guesstimate aim and guesstimate focus, and the person next to me asked, in a quite difficult accent, "Is that a Hasselblad?"
    No offense taken, Tim. You make a valid point that others might see the moderators differently than I do. I like it here, too, and maybe I don't say so often enough.