Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lee Big Stopper - (Lots of ND filter)

Re: Lee Big Stopper - (Lots of ND filter)

I used to have these CC filters but never really figured how to properly use them. I asked you about the timer because i once used one that was off. Did you factor in bellows extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmartinsphoto View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Glad i found this forum as i'm about to start testing Big Stopper on FP4 and TMax100 for really really big exposures. I've got slow lenses and a 1" exp becomes 17 minutes! What's the compensation factor for that?
    The project is to shoot on busy locations and turn the people into ghostlike things, hence the exaggeration
    Anyone's got tables for that?
    People won't show up on film at 17mins unless they are sitting still. You'll need much shorter exposures.

Yeah Vinny, that's exactly what i want - no people, a few ghostlike things at most.
    Problem is there's no exposure comp charts for this lent of time!

I used to have these CC filters but never really figured how to properly use them. I asked you about the timer because i once used one that was off. Did you factor in bellows extension?
    I did factor in bellows extension.

Next time I'll back up the timer with my watch and I may even count "one elephant, two elephant...." just to be sure.

Hi everyone,
    Glad i found this forum as i'm about to start testing Big Stopper on FP4 and TMax100 for really really big exposures. I've got slow lenses and a 1" exp becomes 17 minutes! What's the compensation factor for that?
    The project is to shoot on busy locations and turn the people into ghostlike things, hence the exaggeration
    Anyone's got tables for that?
    I'm not sure I understand the new question.

You said the time starts at 1" and becomes 17 minutes, for which film? Or you mean you want 17 minutes to be the final time?

I'm going to agree at 17 minites you're not going to get any ghosting unless some people are sitting for 5 minites in one spot.

For FP4+ with no bellows compensation, and only the big stopper, this is the result...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401173781.352911.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	115953

With TMX, there are 3 times, there the official one from the chart kodak gives...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401173820.309181.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	115954

There are also two very different options. These other two were created based on chats of very popular photographers who use a different method for developing after the fact thys compensates to help correct for the high contrast in long exposures and reciprocity etc. So these options are very different, you can read more about the app and what these times are all about in the FAQ provided with the app should you choose to use it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401173934.032158.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	115955

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401173939.751604.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	115956

However I have always used the official times with good results but I enjoy high contrast.

I don't own the big stopper but I do have 3 ND filters stacked to equal 9 stops, this is the only image I've used all of them together to make this abstract.

Lee Big Stopper - (Lots of ND filter)

Err this abstract....

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401174195.265931.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	115957

And this one...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401174216.247423.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	115958

Edit: both with Delta100 in Rodinal 1:50
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 27-May-2014 at 00:04. Reason: film info

Hi Stone, thanks for the input!
    My question, asked before i'd had a look at the app, was about compensation for times that were off the chart to start with. With my slow lenses, a 1 second exposure is fairly usual. With the BS alone this goes up to 17 minutes or so (regardless of film).
    Since using the app i saw that this can go further up to one hour, depending on film used! I know that velvia 50 will not tolerate anything near this kind of exposure, so now there is yet another question: is there any emulsion that can take such exposures?

Hi Stone, thanks for the input!
    My question, asked before i'd had a look at the app, was about compensation for times that were off the chart to start with. With my slow lenses, a 1 second exposure is fairly usual. With the BS alone this goes up to 17 minutes or so (regardless of film).
    Since using the app i saw that this can go further up to one hour, depending on film used! I know that velvia 50 will not tolerate anything near this kind of exposure, so now there is yet another question: is there any emulsion that can take such exposures?
    Acros100 and TMY-2(tmax400) are your best bets for good reciprocity. Acros100 has no change for 2 minites, TMY-2 has only 1/2 change for some very long amount of time.

However, all films can be used, just compensation is necessary, with Velvia50 you can, with compensating filters for color shift... Velvia100 has much better reciprocity characteristics and is closer to Acros100 in it's capabilities. Provia100f is also the same as Velvia100.

The app takes into account the data given by the manufacturers and the designer has extrapolated the curve projections past where the manufacturer have, generally speaking this works fairly well, so far I haven't had any issues.