Thread: meandered over from APUG....

meandered over from APUG....

Hi! I'm on APUG and was linked here via another photographer, Shane... I'm eager to learn and own a few lg. format cameras. Just getting the nerve up to try them.

Dave Karp

Re: meandered over from APUG....

Welcome.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Hello. You are among friends here.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Welcome, Jessica! Glad to have you aboard. The front page has a lot of articles about LF photography, and there's also lots of images here to view for inspiration and education. These are the cuddliest of all the cameras. Really! How many other formats can you put your arms around - literally?

What sort of photography do you think you might do with a LF camera?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thanks so much! I'm a portrait person but I do love to do rural Iowa stuff too (farms,etc...- yeah, cows too) LOL. I'll find some good reading looks like! Thanks!

Jessica,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you have great success with your adventure into large format photography.

I think you will find LF cameras are great portrait cameras. If you use a 4x5 camera you might consider a Fuji instant back for use with instant film. I find that the use of instant film is a great ice breaker with strangers. It allows you to give something to a subject right on the spot, and in a lot of cases can lead to much better photographs. Some of my 4x5 instant film portraits have led to 8x10 portrait sessions.

Good luck,

-Daniel

Jessica,

You will find a number of people that are both here and on APUG, myself included.

You will find a number of people here to help you with questions you might have regarding LF, although you should try the search function first, if for no other reason than to understand some of the issues related to your questions. As well as to explain that you did try the search function.

Welcome aboard and enjoy yourself,

Len