Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reno

Reno

I'm going to be in Reno (Sparks actually) for 5 days while my wife attends a chefs conference. I have a little bit of commercial shooting to do but have some time to look around. I'm more looking for odd (landscapes) and post apocalyptic (ruins) than pretty landscapes. What is close by?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Reno

Kirk,

If you can find time, and if it is still accessible, try to get to a place called American Flats. It is worth the trip. It is near Gold Hill, Nv which is south of Virginia City. American Flats contains a bunch of abandoned mining structures and is the graffiti capital of that part of the world. I was just looking at it on Google Earth the other day. There is some information out on the internet that makes it sound as if it might get torn down, so one would have to check to see if it is still there. Someone on the forum probably has up to date information.

If you do a google search for american flats nevada you can see a bunch of images of the place. I would love to go back there.

Sounds like my kind of place.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Has it been torn down does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Lake Tahoe for mountain landscapes. Virginia City is a tourist trap so get there before the tour busses do. Genoa is a lot more laid back but not nearly as develped. The Truckee River is always nice.I'd bet Jim Galli could supply you with current info on ghost towns and such.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I'm going to be in Reno (Sparks actually) for 5 days while my wife attends a chefs conference. I have a little bit of commercial shooting to do but have some time to look around. I'm more looking for odd (landscapes) and post apocalyptic (ruins) than pretty landscapes. What is close by?
    When I lived there in the 80's, we used to say, "Reno is so close to hell, you can see Sparks."

Virginia City and the vicinity is a good suggestion and pretty close to Reno/Sparks. There is a vintage cemetery at Virginia City that can be interesting and challenging.
    Keith Pitman

Kirk, you may want to take a look at Pyramid Lake. I used to camp and photograph there forty years ago, but it no doubt has changed. There were some strange outcroppings, and always the opportunity to do more than pretty landscapes. I know what you mean. Anyway, even without coming back with keepers, it might be worth a look. Not too far from Sparks.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pyram...iw=873&bih=537

lol, my kids live in Reno so I often take the camera....but rarely find anything to photograph. a "can't see the forest for the trees" problem I'm sure. I most often end up at the National Auto Museum when that happens. I DO have some nice things from back streets of Virginia City though. As always, the shots are where you find them. The salt flat desert east of Fallon might be productive.

IIRC there is (or used to be) some big old empty hotel of historic interest alongside the Truckee River. I think it was famous for Marlyn Monroe spending time there for some residence requirement to get her Nevada divorce.
    The old State buildings in Carson City are pretty nice, too, nestled amid cottonwoods (?) or whatever they are.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks all. Still curious about whether American Flats is still there and are there any prehistoric sites visually interesting near Reno?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: