Thread: Amabilia Travel Cases -- Any Experience

Amabilia Travel Cases -- Any Experience

I am looking for a high quality equipment case for expedition travel. In the past I have used Lightware cases but have been disappointed with the internal divider system. The velco tabs usually loose their "stick" to the dividers over time.

Recently I saw some motion picture camera people using Amabilia cases for travelling with gear. Has anyone used these cases and what has your experience been?

I am not looking to pack or hike with these cases, only transport gear by air to my location. They appear to be well built and come with a detachable trolly. As air travel has become more restrictive I can no longer "carry-on" my LF gear and need a case that will offer exceptional protection.

Thanks Mike

Michael,

I used an Amabilia case once and they seem very solid. Of the 'purpose built' photo cases I would rank both Amabilia and Rimowa as a bit sturdier than Halliburton. However, none of these are IATA certified and if you want maximum peace of mind and protection from damage then get something that is IATA certified such as an Anvil case. New they are hideously expensive but they are plentiful and reasonably priced on the used market; of course you will have to do a bit of work modifying the interior but your gear will be safer and in the unlikely event something does get damaged you willo have fewer hassles with the insurance company.

OTOH, with the recent modification in TSA rules are you still sure you can't carry on?

Due to the success of their lates polycarbonate suitcases Rimowa has discontinued the production of their camera cases. All that are left are being closed out at this time. Rimowa simply no longer has production capacity to make these cases.

See if you can find Zarges cases. These are water and dustproof aluminum cases designed to NATO military specs.

Zarges: http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/transport/zarges/zarges3.html

Also: http://www.edak.com/zarges_cases.html (this is the USA distributor). I have absolutely no connection to eithe company .I just like their cases. I also really like Lightware.

Thanks folks....I will check them out.