Thread: Epson Flat Bed Scanner

Epson Flat Bed Scanner

Currently I have a 7-8 year old Epson 10000 xl , it has small glitches but basically served us well.. We are now doing a lot of large batch, small file size scanning, basically for clients to quickly see what they have in their family albums.
    The batch function on my old epson works but is super slow, we are running it on a Mac G 4.

My question would be does anyone know if the current 10000 xl software and scanner is faster for batch processing?
    or
    would the G4 be the slowdown area.

We are open to the new model but it must be faster,or we would just fix the old one.

Re: Epson Flat Bed Scanner

I have a Mac.... but can't answer specifically to the G4. I was having major slow down with my 10,000xl and was informed that because I also had a 750v installed the Mac was getting confused. If that's the case, dump the 750V... I also dumped and reloaded with the latest and greatest and it's been fast ever since. My Epson is about 10 yeas old if memory serves.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

So Greg did you just reload current software? I am not using a 750V
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I have a Mac.... but can't answer specifically to the G4. I was having major slow down with my 10,000xl and was informed that because I also had a 750v installed the Mac was getting confused. If that's the case, dump the 750V... I also dumped and reloaded with the latest and greatest and it's been fast ever since. My Epson is about 10 yeas old if memory serves.

It has been a couple of years, but I did load a newer version than the one that came on the disc. Dumping on a Mac is more complicated than you would think... There are places way deep into the operating system you have to go to do this. Jim Kitchen was my source on how to do this.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Well Jim is a friend , I will do some more research and then maybe get hold of him

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    It has been a couple of years, but I did load a newer version than the one that came on the disc. Dumping on a Mac is more complicated than you would think... There are places way deep into the operating system you have to go to do this. Jim Kitchen was my source on how to do this.

Bob

I have had a 10,000XL for four years. Started with a Mac G-4 and last year upgraded my computer to a quad core I-Mac. The scanner was slow with the G-4. The speed of the scanner really increased with the quad core. I usually scan 7x17, 8x10 and 4x10 Transparencies and negatives, so I never batch scan. I would venture a guess that your computer is slowing your scanner down?
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Hi Scott

thanks I suspect that as well.
    A new computer is on my wish list for our scanning area.

we just redid the cabling that networks our different devices and just proper layout of cable made a huge difference in loading files from my computer to the lambda , almost a tripling of speed which was a surprise..

Scott what software are you using with the epson 10000 ? I am looking into the silverfast but have only used the software provided with the scanner and it is really basic.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    Bob

I have had a 10,000XL for four years. Started with a Mac G-4 and last year upgraded my computer to a quad core I-Mac. The scanner was slow with the G-4. The speed of the scanner really increased with the quad core. I usually scan 7x17, 8x10 and 4x10 Transparencies and negatives, so I never batch scan. I would venture a guess that your computer is slowing your scanner down?

Bob

Actually I just use the Epson software. My scanning is fairly simple and the supplied Epson software works perfectly for me. The scans come out as I expect them too. With the G-4 I was very disappointed with the performance of the 10,000XL! With the quad core I-Mac the scanner has been a dream to use and I love it!
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

You might want to install Parallels or some equivalent program and run your Epson in Windows.... I personally run most of my printing programs in Windows because more of the "buttons" are light up verses the Mac. I do run the scanner in Mac however. I too am satisfied with the Epson program.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.