Thread: Arca Swiss Rail Question

Arca Swiss Rail Question

I recently acquired an Arca Swiss 4x5 Field from a forum member, and it came with the collapsable/folding monorail (30 cm total length) and short bracket. The rail has a T slot on the bottom.

My plan is to get a 30cm telescoping set with 15cm rails, which should extend to about 45cm. For longer extension when needed, I was hoping to use the current collapsable/folding rail as a 30cm replacement rail for one of the 15cm rails, leaving the other 15cm rail on the bracket. For transport, both standards would be moved onto the 15cm rail, which would then be removed from the bracket. Will this work, as long as the telescoping set has the newer, "Monorail II" style rails, and not the older style rails (which apparently are not as tall, and do not have a T slot on the bottom)?

I guess another way to phrase the question is, does the collapsing/folding rail have exactly the same height and cross section as the newer "Monorail II" rails?

Thanks

Bob

Re: Arca Swiss Rail Question

There are two versions of the folding rail, the older, low-profile model and one with the current, high-profile design. The current folding rail shares the same profile as the current telescoping rail.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

If I recall correctly the folding rails won't slide all the way into the current Extension Bracket. I think that the tightening knob is too big to pass through and the centre hinge of the folding rail fouls the levers of the Extension Bracket.

John and Phil,

Thanks for the replies. I believe my folding rail is the newer, taller type. I guess I figured the folder might not fit completely into the bracket because of the little "lock projection" on the folder that is located 1-2 cm from the end with the tightening knob. But if the hinge joint prevents it from going into the bracket, then you'd loose about half the possible extension.

Bob

The 30cm folding rail will slide almost all the way into the 30cm bracket. The little pin at one end prevents it going all the way. The hinge does not pose a problem. You really only need one 15cm rail and the 30cm bracket to add to your 30cm folding rail. That would get you a 60cm extension.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Arp View Post
    The 30cm folding rail will slide almost all the way into the 30cm bracket. The little pin at one end prevents it going all the way. The hinge does not pose a problem. You really only need one 15cm rail and the 30cm bracket to add to your 30cm folding rail. That would get you a 60cm extension.
    My mistake (and thanks for the correction)! I was thinking of the Extension rail II not the folding rail. My apologies.