Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GRAFLEX super D conversion to 4x5

Re: GRAFLEX super D conversion to 4x5

I see. That explains it. Thanks.

Misko if I ever decide to part with my Cambo straight viewer I will give you first chance at it. ;-) They made them pretty inexpensively I think, I am surprised there is not a modern equivalent being made out of china. It wouldn't be hard to tool up this sort of thing for mass production at reasonable cost. I forget if Calumet/Cambo still sells them or not.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Great. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I mostly finished my conversion, and did some shooting with it. It's great, lots of fun. I still need to finish covering the prism area with some black leather, and also come up with some sort of strap or handle possibly. But otherwise, works great. It covers basically the full 4x5 image - only less than 1/2" or so is missing from the long dimension. (4x4.5" approx.)

Attachment 100570Attachment 100571Attachment 100572
    Interesting, I have a postcard sized Graflex awaiting restoration, I'm not sure the model number off hand but I'm hoping I can just get away with shooting 5x4 once I convert the back. If not I'll get some modern 9x12 holders (same outside dimensions as 5x4) and use 9x12 film instead. I have a few 9x12 cameras and films is easy to get in Europe.

Ian

Keep us posted!

Hmmmm....

I was given a 3.25x4.25 Speed Graphic which was kinda famous in the Seattle area from the 40s because of the previous owner who was a well known amateur photographer and physician, Dr. Melvin LaViolette. I have four of Dr. Melvin's original holders which are kind of worn but was able to find some modern plastic holders on DaBay...

Cutting film is really not much of a problem or even that much bother. First, you need a RotoTrimmer. Second, tape a piece of mounting board for a 4.25" cut. Third, cut the long way first and make sure you don't cut the notches off. You can cut the whole box (25) at this time and put them all back in the film box. Turn the lights back on and reset the mounting board for a 3.25 cut and make the other cut. Remember to cut the bottom of the film and don't cut the notches off. Return all of them to the film box, turn on the light and away you go.

If you are worried that you cut the film correctly, use a note card as a test and cut the 4.25 side and see if it fits the holder. Adjust if necessary. Cut all of the 4.25 cuts and then reset the cutting guide for 3.25" and cut your note card to that size. Adjust if necessary and then cut the other side of your film.

It's a learned procedure and so much cheaper than going with the custom cut Ilford film. It keeps your Graflex "standard' and unmolested.

You can process the film in trays, an HP CombiPlan daylight tank or make a tube equivalent of BZTS tubes but using hardware store PVC plumbing parts. If you watch on DaBay, you might find some hangers for 3.25x4.25. I found a 3.25x4.25 negative carrier for the Beseler 45 enlarger so I'm good to go that way. I'm going to be doing most of my "printing" with an Epson V750 and sending out the scans to be printed but it is nice to know that I can make 'real' prints if I want.

I haven't tried this with cutting 8x10 into 5x7 but I don't know why it wouldn't work. When there is a "Canham Buy" for Portra or Ektar, it is in 50 sheet boxes and is fairly priced but still expensive. A 10 sheet box of Portra or Ektar in 8x10 becomes a 20 sheet box of 5x7 and the total price is not as shocking to me.