Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GRAFLEX super D conversion to 4x5

Re: GRAFLEX super D conversion to 4x5

It is possible to convert a 3x4 Graflex to a 4x4 image on a 4x5 sheet of film.

Resurrecting this thread... (I too am interested in the options). Clearly it's possible to do something like this (Nearly full sized image on 4x5 using a 3x4 Graflex), as Mr. Minnicks is doing exactly that with his Aero Liberator conversions. I'd like to know more about that, to see if it's DIY-able. His work looks great but I would rather do it myself (to save money and enjoy the experience).

Quote Originally Posted by CuylerB View Post
    I converted my 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 to take 4x5 film holders. I still get a 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 image, but film choice was the reason I did it. ...and it still rotates and has a ground glass back!

I was much easier than I thought it would be. I thought about putting a 4x5 graflok, on but I wanted it to be as compact as possible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbcuyle...in/photostream
    This is a brilliant idea. Thank you. A 4x5 Graflex back only overhangs the back of the camera body by less than 1/2 an inch each side It is very much smaller than a 4x5 Graflok. The wooden 4x5 Graflex back I have been using for the conversion is 3mm thicker than the 3x4 back but with these cameras it is easy to shim the reflex ground glass.

As has been mentioned the greater bulk of the 4x5 reflex camera encourages a different way of working I have both and feel that each has it's place. Very excited about this. Is that sad? I never really liked using the camera with roll film with very occasional 3x4 use. Also we are now down to having available only one quarter plate B&W film. Doing this future proofs the camera and opens up whole new possibilities. I prefer handling 4x5 film too.

It is really easy to do too, this conversion. It took less than 3 hours . I had been experimenting with 3x4 Graflok's and metal single sided 9x12 holders as a way of future proofing. The holders are the same width 100mm but I was struggling with finding a way to lightproof the locating groove for the graphic holders in the Graflok. Another option was to convert somehow to a 9x12 back.

This option is so much better. Thank you CuylerB.

Roger

I have a Series D 3x4 and 4x5. I really prefer the 3x4 because of the bulk, though I do use the 4x5 at times. I have an Aero-Ektar on my 4x5 Pacemaker, I see no reason to put it on the SLR, I would still have to use a tripod, since I can't handhold the camera with that big glass. As for quarter plate film, I like the quality of Ilford, even if it is pricey and available only once a year. I still have three boxes of Efke in the freezer and I'll cut down x-ray if I have to.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Hi Michael. I had forgotten about Ilford for quarter plate still being available on the special run. Perhaps I should have said only one quarter plate film available to me. Wephoto. Their is no way I could afford to shoot Ilford in quarter plate . Quarter plate FP4 plus is actually just a smidge over twice the price of FP4 plus in 4x5 size. I am a very happy chappy today as I already have lots of 4x5 FP4+. albeit expired but frozen and can now use it with my 3x4 camera. Yippee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hesketh View Post
    Hi Michael. I had forgotten about Ilford for quarter plate still being available on the special run. Perhaps I should have said only one quarter plate film available to me. Wephoto. Their is no way I could afford to shoot Ilford in quarter plate . Quarter plate FP4 plus is actually just a smidge over twice the price of FP4 plus in 4x5 size. I am a very happy chappy today as I already have lots of 4x5 FP4+. albeit expired but frozen and can now use it with my 3x4 camera. Yippee!!
    Wephoto is also an option for me. I really like the 3x4 because I can handle it easily. I have a Series B 2x3, the Series D 3x4 and Series D 4x5, also a monster 4x5 Auto Graflex. I use a Grafmatic changer on my 2x3, it also fits the Baby Speed, so I kill two birds with one stone. I only have three 3x4 holders, so I tend to use the Bag-Mag. It's great. Don't ask me why, but I would love to get a 5x7 Graflex SLR, money is the only reason I haven't bought one. That plus the fact that I'm running out of room in my house for these goodies.
    Michael Cienfuegos

I am in the middle of a 3x4 super d to 4x5 graflok conversion. The graflok back is aluminum or magnesium, and it's easy to trim down to almost the same size as the 3x4 body. Will post more pics and info when done, I am adding a prism finder to mine too.

Ed

I mostly finished my conversion, and did some shooting with it. It's great, lots of fun. I still need to finish covering the prism area with some black leather, and also come up with some sort of strap or handle possibly. But otherwise, works great. It covers basically the full 4x5 image - only less than 1/2" or so is missing from the long dimension. (4x4.5" approx.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	100570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	100571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	100572

Has anyone ever made a eye-level reflex finder for one of these LF reflex bodies? a solid prism would weigh more than the rest of the camera . . .so a mirror based ("poro-prism?) rig would have to be made.

Even a "stovepipe" magnifier type viewer would be great too.

Anybody know of anything like this?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Has anyone ever made a eye-level reflex finder for one of these LF reflex bodies? a solid prism would weigh more than the rest of the camera . . .so a mirror based ("poro-prism?) rig would have to be made.

Even a "stovepipe" magnifier type viewer would be great too.

Anybody know of anything like this?
    I have thought about a porro-prism, but the maths seem beyond me. So I would be very interested to learn where the variables for size would go and what the mathematical formula would look like. I have switched out the proprietary back on a Mentor 9x12 for a cut-down Sinar Norma international back to use Fuji FP100, but this is the extent of my dexterity.