Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a 18x24 camera back and ground glass frame

Building a 18x24 camera back and ground glass frame

I recently bought a Sperling 18x24 travel camera from approx. 1950. But it does not have a back, so I am preparing to build one. I have access to a woodworking and metal workshop, so no problems as long as I can keep up my precicion and patience.

The problem, that I would love to get some help on, is that I do not have the measurements or any clear image of how it should look. If any of you have a similar camera I would be very happy for some detail pictures, and thrilled with some measurements!

Re: Building a 18x24 camera back and ground glass frame

I just finished the first job.
    The hinges for the bottom board had bent, making it difficult to crank out the rear standard, as a result a part of the rear standard guide has come off and the brass has been reattached with some steel screws.

To straighten the hinges I had to unscrew them and lay them flat on an anvil. Light knocks with a small hammer and they came back to straight. On remounting the first hinge I found that, originally, all the screws have been filed flat with the hinge after they were screwed in. When I took them out I took no note of this and stuck them all in a film box for safe keeping. As a result I dont know which screw goes where and they do not align properly. For the second hinge I placed them on a sketch of the hinge. And they whent back in as nicely lined up as before. The first precision fault is a fact

Last edited by trondareo; 24-Oct-2014 at 07:45. Reason: Spelling and image

Get a single-flute countersink and slightly deepen the countersink on the hinge leaf ?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Building a back is not impossible, yet I gave up. I find similar backs and adapt them.
    Tin Can

Tracy, That would work for some of them. But all the screws arent vertical, and hence the heads are filed down at angles. I dont think there is any option but to sort the screws into their original holes, or acept my fate.

Randy. I am tempted to search for another back, but it is kind of fun to build one. What I need is the dimentions of a cross section. I have found some mention that there was close to a standard on these things. I have found some pictures of the hinged glass varitety that is original to this camera, but I am baffled as to how the film holder was kept in place. Is the hinged glass enough?

Quote Originally Posted by trondareo View Post
    Randy. I am tempted to search for another back, but it is kind of fun to build one. What I need is the dimentions of a cross section. I have found some mention that there was close to a standard on these things. I have found some pictures of the hinged glass varitety that is original to this camera, but I am baffled as to how the film holder was kept in place. Is the hinged glass enough?
    I am not familiar with that camera. Nor have I dealt with hinged GG backs.

Here are ANSI dimensions of DDS, but that may not help you.

Keep us posted.

Call me butcher of cameras...
    Tin Can

...........well the very best with this project.............

but to be entirely honest, you may be better off in the long run to see if you can buy a back from a recognised manufacturer who is also able to supply you with a holder that is a true fit

btw, I'm assuming that this is a 18 x 24" and not an 18 x 24m

good luck again

rgds

andrew

Thanks for the data Randy

Oh, its 18x24 cm, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by trondareo View Post
    Thanks for the data Randy

Oh, its 18x24 cm, sorry.
    right, thx, it's a 18 x 24cm and not an 18 x 24" that you're looking for

and............err, before someone on here 'takes a shot at your tail' which is always a possibility on here, do a google search for 18 x 24m cameras, there's as usual plenty of stuff available regarding this, here's one:-

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00A8VW

rgds, andrew