Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: required movement for landscape work???

Re: required movement for landscape work???

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Yes but what about the compositions that would please you if only your tools allowed it?
    Yes, I still agree, those compositions are always around you too: that is, ones you desire in the field, and which you know fall outside the scope of your tools. But isn't this an imaginative vice of sorts, not an imaginative virtue? That's the counter-intuitive issue worth a new thread, I think, and it's tough to summarize in one sentence. The irony is that it takes a good imagination, like yours, to visualize what your tools can't do, but this is also time taken away from seeing the compositions that are always waiting upon you and the tools you possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Yes, I still agree, those compositions are always around you too: that is, ones you desire in the field, and which you know fall outside the scope of your tools. But isn't this an imaginative vice of sorts, not an imaginative virtue? That's the counter-intuitive issue worth a new thread, I think, and it's tough to summarize in one sentence. The irony is that it takes a good imagination, like yours, to visualize what your tools can't do, but this is also time taken away from seeing the compositions that are always waiting upon you and the tools you possess.
    I think you're missing the point that Barry (the OP) is asking, regarding what movements are required for landscape work, and he's actively looking for a camera.

As others have pointed out the main one is tilt and associated rise and fall, just occasionally I use front or rear swing (and associated shift). My own experience is that a camera with a fixed (rotatable) back and a front standard with tilt (either way), rise and fall, with ssing and shift is sufficient, that may also mean a drop focis bed.

Ian

[Sigh]

Ian, here’s the promised thread for my diverging topic:

“There’s no shot around here – time to head home.”

I’ve kept it simple, but I hope it builds up to our Zen-ish issue, will see you there... ;^)