Thread: Large Format Gathering, Death Valley, Nov 28 – Dec 4, 2012

Large Format Gathering, Death Valley, Nov 28 – Dec 4, 2012

There is a gathering of friends (large format photographers) in Death Valley this Fall. The dates are Nov 28 – Dec 4, 2012. You don’t want to miss this one! Death Valley is bathed in soft silver light that allows you to photograph all day.

Shooting locations are flexible depending on weather and lighting conditions. On the menu is Twenty Mule Team Canyon and vicinity, Zabriskie Point (including Golden Canyon and the Zabriskie interior below overlook), Stovepipe Wells dunes, Racetrack, and Badwater.

The approach is casual with no instruction or organized groups (spend time with the photographers that you want to!) but we will come together for social interaction during dinner or around a campfire. This is not for the fainthearted. Be prepared to hike up to 6 miles on some days.

Organized by Laura Campbell (California), Lloyd Greene (Ohio), and Michael Snively (Colorado).

Lodging

A few of us are camping at Texas Springs at Furnace Creek. Other lodging in the park includes Furnace Creek Ranch or the ranch at Stovepipe Wells.

furnacecreekresort.com || stovepipewells.com

Participants are responsible for their own transportation, park entry fees, lodging, and food.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laura_plat.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	77955

Re: Large Format Gathering, Death Valley, Nov 28 – Dec 4, 2012

This sounds like a great opportunity. I was in DV earlier in Feb this year but would love to shoot again ...

What's the "best" way to get there from Florida? Fly into Vegas and rent a car, or is there a better, closer option?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What's the "best" way to get there from Florida? Fly into Vegas and rent a car, or is there a better, closer option?
    Bill - When I went there from Tampa with someone who had been going there for years that's how we did it. I assume he knew the best way since he had been doing it for so many years. We had a long drive from Vegas because some of the roads on the most direct route were closed due to damage from flooding but normally it's an easy drive.

For anyone interested and perhaps looking for inspiration, the current issue of LensWork includes a portfolio of Death Valley images that I liked a lot.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

It would be fun, but I'll have to wait until February.

Just confirming that's it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Just confirming that's it ...
    Yeah, that's the closest. You could fly into LA but it would be a longer drive by a couple hours, more traffic to contend with, and most likely more expensive flights. Vegas has so many cheap flights going in that it's the clear winner unless you have other reasons to go to Los Angeles.

Photographer

I believe there's a airstrip at a brothel just outside Beatty if you have a private plane. Don't ask how I know.
    Keith Pitman

I agree that Las Vegas is the way to go. It's about 2.5 hours if you take Highway 95 north to 373 > 127 > 190 to Furnace Creek. Or take the other route west of Charleston Peak, Highway 160 to 190 which is scenic in some areas. Drive time is about the same. It'll be chilly at night and in the early morning so bring some warm clothing. Let me know if you have any questions.