Thread: Any interesting photography in NYC early April 2012?

Any interesting photography in NYC early April 2012?

There's a slim possibility I might have to go to NYC in early April this year. Are there any must-see shows of any kind that an LFer should be sure to see given an opportunity? Sadly I so seldom get to NYC anymore that I've pretty much lost touch with the museum / gallery scene there.

Bruce Watson

Re: Any interesting photography in NYC early April 2012?

Atget at the MOMA. Closes on April 9.

Aperture Gallery has a show that goes till late April. I've heard good things but haven't been there myself yet.

http://www.aperture.org/gallery/

funkadelic

In general, do most museums/galleries in NYC allow the possession of a camera (or conceal it in a backpack?), even if not taking photos? I might get a free day or two at the start of a a business trip to NJ. I was hoping to get in a day of museums and/or galleries. I really don't like the idea of leaving a camera behind since I'll probably use public transit from NJ to NYC when I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    In general, do most museums/galleries in NYC allow the possession of a camera (or conceal it in a backpack?), even if not taking photos? I might get a free day or two at the start of a a business trip to NJ. I was hoping to get in a day of museums and/or galleries. I really don't like the idea of leaving a camera behind since I'll probably use public transit from NJ to NYC when I'm there.
    Some museums (like the MOMA) make you check backpacks. They won't make you check a bag that would be equivalent to a woman's purse. So bring your messenger bag or other man purse-like carry around and keep your camera in there. No, they won't make you check your camera -- at least I've never encountered that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Atget at the MOMA. Closes on April 9.
    Loved the Atget show, but the catalog doesn't have the pictures I liked best! Ah well, I'll skip it and just rely on my memories.

Cindy Sherman is also being given a huge retrospective on the fourth floor of the MOMA currently. Great show.

I've run into problems taking photos at the Guggenheim where it is only permitted on the ground floor
    http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/v...and-procedures

But I have yet to come across a museum that requires you to check your camera.

The last time I was at ICP, they made me check my backpack, but they took the camera out of it for me to carry with me.

I think I had to check my camera at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam - but that was many years ago.

Before going to NYC, check the gallery listing at http://photographmag.com/. But what we often do is to go to Chelsea, and just walk around, going into whatever gallery strikes our fancy. You never know what you might see - some is inspiring, while some is merely baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    But I have yet to come across a museum that requires you to check your camera.
    In general, they actually don't want you to check your camera - they don't want to be responsible for it.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Loved the Atget show, but the catalog doesn't have the pictures I liked best! Ah well, I'll skip it and just rely on my memories.

Cindy Sherman is also being given a huge retrospective on the fourth floor of the MOMA currently. Great show.
    When I was there last weekend the Sherman show was mobbed, while the Atget gallery was almost empty. Great for viewing, at least...