Thread: 4x5 Velvia 100 vs Portra 160, > shooting the northern lights (Aurora Borealis)

4x5 Velvia 100 vs Portra 160, > shooting the northern lights (Aurora Borealis)

I will be visiting the north of Sweden (Kiruna and Abisko National Park) for four days. I am primarily travelling to witness and hopefully record on film the wonderful spectacle of northern lights (Aurora Borealis) on 4x5. I will have two colour films with me, the Portra 160 and Velvia 100.

Does anyone have any pointers on exposure, setup, focal length or other tips?

All comments much appreciated,

Marko

Re: 4x5 Velvia 100 vs Portra 160, > shooting the northern lights (Aurora Borealis)

Marko,

Here's anice intro to photographing northern lights:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/te...urora-md.shtml

While the author describes digital techniques, most of it applies to 4x5 LF photography as well.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...

Re: 4x5 Velvia 100 vs Portra 160, > shooting the northern lights (Aurora Borealis)

There is a slight error in his article--the aurora are not brightest right at the magnetic pole, but rather in a ring around the magnetic pole where the magnetosphere passes through the ionosphere. The light is product by the ionization of the E/F layer (I forget which) of the ionosphere. It is brightest during periods of high solar activity, which is right about...now. The forecast for today is only "moderate".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_3.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	70574
    (Image from the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks.)

I was in Anchorage all last week, but alas it was cloudy at night while I was there.

Rick "who has been in Alaska a day early or late for unobstructed aurora on several occasions" Denney

Rick,

What brought you to Anchorage? We had some good northern lights and clear skies about 2 nights ago (I live straight across the inlet from Eagle River). Should have come this week!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ellis View Post
    What brought you to Anchorage? We had some good northern lights and clear skies about 2 nights ago (I live straight across the inlet from Eagle River). Should have come this week!
    I was working with the Alaska DOT. Cloudy and occasionally snowy all week, except for a little bit of sun through thin clouds in the afternoons. Sometimes the clouds were high; sometimes low. Never got above freezing while I was there. But it was not bad compared to a trip to Omaha a year ago. That trip was really cold.

You can tell I travel for the gubmint. Puerto Rico in August and Omaha or Buffalo in February.

Rick "in Atlanta at the moment" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I was working with the Alaska DOT. Cloudy and occasionally snowy all week, except for a little bit of sun through thin clouds in the afternoons. Sometimes the clouds were high; sometimes low. Never got above freezing while I was there. But it was not bad compared to a trip to Omaha a year ago. That trip was really cold.

You can tell I travel for the gubmint. Puerto Rico in August and Omaha or Buffalo in February.

Rick "in Atlanta at the moment" Denney
    Rick,

That's interesting! My brother interned with DOT, and he and a friend both work for DEC now that they're graduated. I'm studying civil engineering at UAA, with 2 years left to go.

It's been an interesting winter up here for sure. Hopefully some good photography opportunities as we get a bit more light.

Robert

Marko, when are you travelling?
    Remember than the "night" gets of pretty short duration (if at all) as soon as the summer comes.