Thread: Pinetop, AZ

Pinetop, AZ

Does anyone know of interesting landscapes or architecture around Pinetop, AZ? I may be through that way in a few months and I was thinking of taking my camera along.
    Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Pinetop, AZ

Pinetop is located on the Mongollon Rim here in Az. The surrounding terrain is timbered and elevated compared to the Phoenix valley. I am not aware of any interesting architectural structures in the immediate vicinity.

John Olsen

Go East to US 191 and then South about 70 miles to the huge open pit mines at Clifton. Pinetop is not interesting but the pit mines and mining community of Clifton ought to provide many opportunities. Pack your gear tightly and drive like Hell on 191. It's a hoot. Good luck.

I worked in the area (Apache Reservation and area west and south) for two years, travelling all the back roads, and yes, there's nothing architecturally interesting, just lots of interesting open pine forest everywhere except north with the open plateau. And drive slow on 191, it's pretty country. If you go on the Apache reservation, the backroads are generally good but not maintained and worse in bad weather. You don't need permits for anything except maybe camping, but I wouldn't recommend staying overnight anywhere anyway. The surrounding USFS lands require permits in campgrounds but it's easy to just park and camp off the road away from people.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White