Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mounting mammoth cameras on to tripods

mounting mammoth cameras on to tripods

While I honestly haven't put anything huge on mine, here's another vote for a Ries tripod/head. I have an old A-series set of legs and head, and I swear the thing just laughs at my 8x10. I can sit on it and it barely even flexes (and have done so several times to prove the point). If it can hold 150+ lbs of wobbly flesh, it should be fine with any camera. And the spring-loaded mounting screw does make all the difference in the world.

While everybody's bragging, for my 8x10 I use a Cullmann CT200. It is about 7' high with full extension (center column). My 810N at full bellows is fine with the height, it's solid. Without the column up it's about 4'. And will hold 154 lbs according to Cullmann. I weigh 144 and to demonstrate this, I loop some rope over the top and stand in the loop.

It's got my vote for ULF, and it's cheaper than the Majestic or Reis.

"I gave up on quick releases because they don't really hold the camera..."

I've been using a Bogen 3047 head with the quick release plate for years with my 4x5. I just got a 8x10 and was wandering if anyone is using the 3047 with 8x10? Is it steady enough? I tried it earlier today and it seemed alright but I was indoors and there really wasn't much stress on the camera.

Mike, I used a 3047 with my Deardorff V8 with no problems. I have since switched to a Majestic head (with the advent of using 12X20)and use it for both 8X10 and 12X20. I still use a 3047 for my 4X5.

Mike, I use the Bogen 3273 on a 5X7 and a Phillips 8X10. But when using it on an 11X14 camera weighing 30 pounds not counting lens and film holder I felt that it just wasn't as rigid as I would like. I use lighter tripods with these lighter cameras, using the Majestic with its huge plate would be overkill.

I'm building a mammoth camera and intended to build a tripod for it like one I saw on a wet plate photographer's site (now I'm building a studio stand instead). It was shaped like a T with a leg at each end. It provides a large area for the camera to rest on, and with a pivot at the front, and an arc at the rear, could provide for some pan/swing movement.