Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: POLAROID 4x5 Conversion !! A new project !!

Re: POLAROID 4x5 Conversion !! A new project !!

Polaroid conversions and patents is a hot button topic here you should know, so if you want to go down this road, be forewarned
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Polaroid conversions and patents is a hot button topic here you should know, so if you want to go down this road, be forewarned
    I think so ... but why not to try?
    Maybe it will be a disaster ... but maybe not ....

yeah, the name that shall not be typed

OP, not saying don't make a conversion, far from that ! My comment was directed to the patent suggestion. I don't think anyone else has done this. Alpenhause, Razzle and Byron are open source if you will. In fact, Daniel (Byron) was offering tutorials on doing one's own conversions but not sure what stage that's at.

Please post photos of your progress if you can.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I don't think you are "swindling" but crowdfunding generally offers the people doing the funding something significant for their money. If I give you $1000, you only give me a back. I don't even get a camera. I am then expected to build it myself. I can get a complete camera for less than that by some experienced people.

I know people want to patent things like this, but is there a big enough market out there to go through the long drawn out (and expensive) patent process? I think you are better off just making it and selling it, but that is just my opinion.

I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    I don't think you are "swindling" but crowdfunding generally offers the people doing the funding something significant for their money. If I give you $1000, you only give me a back. I don't even get a camera. I am then expected to build it myself. I can get a complete camera for less than that by some experienced people.

I know people want to patent things like this, but is there a big enough market out there to go through the long drawn out (and expensive) patent process? I think you are better off just making it and selling it, but that is just my opinion.

I wish you luck.
    I totally agree with you, i've edited my indiegogo page !!!
    Now donations are more correct, i think .... let me know what you think !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ml_pisel View Post
    1- I'd like to patent what i'm doing and this is a quite long bureaucratic procedure here in Italy.
    This is not a good idea. Please do a long and thorough search regarding patents on 4x5 Polaroid conversions. I'm sure you will find lots of interesting information on photo board archives.

If you buy a used 4x5 Shen Hao with a nice lens you can mount any standard Polaroid back to it and use the Fuji Instant films without any conversion.

Or you can buy a 4x5 Dayi or Gaoersi and mount a pola back.

Or you can ask SK Grimes to modify an old Arca for this purpose...

OK, they are larger than the old folders and don't offer rangefinders, but usually people want the image, not the technology. But maybe I don't understand this project at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    yeah, the name that shall not be typed

OP, not saying don't make a conversion, far from that ! My comment was directed to the patent suggestion. I don't think anyone else has done this. Alpenhause, Razzle and Byron are open source if you will. In fact, Daniel (Byron) was offering tutorials on doing one's own conversions but not sure what stage that's at.

Please post photos of your progress if you can.
    Aye, and Option8 (instantoptions/Nate) is extremely open source, he has a whole website explaining the conversion process as well as a flickr group and can always answer any questions you have, he's pretty knowledgeable about the conversions too.

I would stress not patenting your design, unfortunately. Nothing good can come of it, as we've seen.

Hope you don't mind if I share, I did my own conversion about a year ago, I haven't had much time to use it but it does work well. A rangefinder is much more convenient than ground glass, mine has a diy 4x5 back. It is not something I would want to do more than once. But, it is a very nice alternative to contemplative large format. It makes it much more spontaneous, which can be nice for a change. Here's a photo of mine on the shelf as of 3 minutes ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0204.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	71084

Of course, I usually prefer the Mamiya 7 when I want something more portable, or the real folding 4x5 with movements when I want something contemplative. But it has its place.

I think you are very naive - to put it mildly!

- This path has been trodden by many, both single projects for own use and with those semi-commercial intentions, for many years. So long, that the price of unconverted Pathfinders has been pushed up to a point where it is only an economic project if, like you, one happens to have inherited one. The antics of certain makers who use their cameras as the basis for "art" doesn´t appeal to many with basic common sense and restricted disposable income, although the core idea is good! After all, pocket sized German 9x12cm plate cameras with focussing and view-finders did very well for 30 years.

- Patents are impossible, Registering a design is probably just as difficult.

- Set-up manufacturing costs for anything under a couple of hundred volume are so high, that it will put a price tag of many 1,000's of €s on each item.

- The whole idea of how you intend to raise capital is both a risk for "clients" and, more importantly, for you, if you get an "investor" who decides to go to Court if there are "hiccups" in the plan.

Thanks to all for suggestions and criticism ...
    Today I 've sent the 3D model to the factory That Make 3d print .... so I hope to be able to tell if my idea will work or if it will be a total failure .... maybe todayor tomorrow I'll post some screencap of the 3d model!