Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need an experienced Tumblr geek to customize a theme

Need an experienced Tumblr geek to customize a theme

http://frankpetroniophotographer.tumblr.com

First off I need a more legible, larger font.

It's worth a print of your choice to me. Clean that up and perhaps we can tackle something more complex for trade/money.

I don't want to talk to you if you've never done stuff on Tumblr before. I don't want to argue that I should use WordPress or Joomla or something else. Stick with the program, keep it simple (for me).

Check this Tumblr theme out, never mind that she's naked: http://brookelynne.tumblr.com - after you get over the pix, look at the site - it's practically a real website unto itself. That's something I'd like only custom/branded for me.

Re: Need an experienced Tumblr geek to customize a theme

Can't help with changing the font, but do you know that if you place <big> before and after your text it gets bigger? You can do it more than once.

If you didn't before, you now know just about everything I know.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Check this Tumblr theme out, never mind that she's naked: http://brookelynne.tumblr.com - after you get over the pix, look at the site - it's practically a real website unto itself.
    Frank, it's a nightmare to navigate over my DSL connection - those picture-packed pages ooze onto my screen like molasses. Not something I'd want to wrestle with very often.

Yeah, irrelevant if your target audience is all on gigabit fiber now...

http://frankpetroniophotographer.tumblr.com

Check this Tumblr theme out, never mind that she's naked: http://brookelynne.tumblr.com - after you get over the pix, look at the site - it's practically a real website unto itself. That's something I'd like only custom/branded for me.
    You can buy that theme for $3.50. Doesn't this come down to what you mean by "custom/branded for me"?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

No I need help modifying the code of one of those themes. None of them is perfect as-is, they all mess at least one element up!

Tumblr is a high bandwidth site in general but most client types have fast connections, as long as I am not significantly slower than other people on Tumblr it doesn't matter.... Nowadays you want to run a Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, Flickr, etc. to build an audience. Obviously Instagram and Facebook load pretty fast but it's nice to have a space with larger images and a different way to reach.

Since Tumblr is 99% visual, the small type of the least bad template I am currently using isn't that much of a problem but if I can fix it I will.

No I need help modifying the code of one of those themes. None of them is perfect as-is.
    Well which theme? Tumblr syntax is well-documented and not complicated. Find a theme that you like and hire the guy who did it to make the modifications you want when you figure out what they are. I happen to like the guy who did http://stewartwadden.com. That theme has been used by a lot of people in pretty diverse, inventive ways, including by some prominent artists. There's a well-known UK illustrator who uses this theme in a way that looks very different from the site above, although when you look at them side by side, you can see the same basic coding. The author of the theme is in New Zealand, he's a good guy (I've corresponded with him) and he's on Twitter to deal with his clients and keep them up to date.

That said, that Tumblr site is not as up to date/active as it might be because, for the business, social media - especially Facebook and Twitter - are more immediate and it seems more effective.

Yeah most of my Tumblr followers are worthless but you never known who is connected to who, plus Tumblr seems to display images very nicely compared to other social networking sites.

I tried contacting some theme authors before and should try again wih a new crop.

Thanks for the push...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There are a lot of free themes on Tumblr. Pick something different, or at least get rid of that Inconsolata font. Use Helvetica or Arial, the normal stuff.

The one that you referenced is "Narnia," by blink and it's over, and it sells for €2.49.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Yeah most of my Tumblr followers are worthless but you never known who is connected to who, plus Tumblr seems to display images very nicely compared to other social networking sites.

I tried contacting some theme authors before and should try again wih a new crop.

Thanks for the push...
    The theme to which I referred is by Mike Harding and is called Scaffold. Mike is at scaffold@sneak.co.nz and on Twitter at @scaffoldtheme. Do a Google search on the theme to see how people are using it. I can tell you that I have a very favourable impression of Mr. Harding based on my dealings with him.

Hey Frank, if you're still looking for a hand, give me a shout. Am a web developer of 15 years and have done a bit with Tumblr in the past.

Cheers