Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaroids 4x5 - Where to start

Polaroids 4x5 - Where to start

I swear... I did a lot of searching within this forum but there are tons of veeery specifics informations;
    so it's quite difficult for me to look for the solution to this "problem" :-)

Looking at your beautiful Polaroid 4x5" images i'd like to have some advices about a kind of a good starting point to enter this world
    Not so many infos... I don't want to bore you further.. Since Pola is a huge world ...just two or three good tips could be ok

I'm already shooting with polaroid ( land 250 and EE100) but they aren't large format (mainly FP fuji and some 667/672/66... and so on )
    I already have a Shen Hao 4x5 and i could use a polaroid back but they say there are some problems with this kind of "back" and the shen hao ( is it true?!)

So, Polaroid 4x5: here's the question. Where to start?
    Are Razzle cameras a good point to start from? Is it (him) still working on those cameras?
    Have I to ask somewhere for a Polaroid 110A/ B, maybe converted, maybe to accept 4x5 Graflok system accessories or... whatever ... i don't know?
    Or Have I only to think about FP fuji 4x5 because they're cheap & more handy that type 52/55 and so on? But i would love to use them because of their effects as expired films...
    Polaroid Back/Shen hao problem is it just an overstatement or is it true? ( i read a lot here and it seems to me that it's a true problem ..)

So, I'm searching of some infos/tips/ advices about a "polaroid 4x5 basic kit" to enter this world
    After that I'll surely have the time to learn by myself going around the web to find more informations and reading topics & threads here

Thanks a lot
    Alberto

ps i choose that title hoping it will help other people to find a "basic" polaroid thread
    Alberto Bregani | Mountain Photographer
    My starting page
    http://about.me/albertobregani

Re: Polaroids 4x5 - Where to start

I don't have an photos posted here, but I've used Polaroid film holder (501?) commonly called a "back" fit under the ground glass on my Anniversry Speed Graphic and these likely fit under any 4x5 camera spring back. When I could get it I preferred shooting type 55 p/n for the negative rather than for the
    "instant gratification" I found it similar to the old Kodak Panatomic-X emulsion.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I suppose that if I were starting at this time, I'd begin by learning how to make my own Polaroid film. Since Polaroid has been out of business for years and there's a limit on how long that stuff can sit on the shelf before the chemicals start to go bad, old stocks are not certain of results and there are no new stocks. The Impossible Project is trying to recreate some of Polaroid's films, but it isn't easy. And there are indications that Fuji's instant films may not be available indefinitely in the future.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Alberto, I have a Shen-Hao HZXIIA 4x5 and have absolutely no problem using my Polaroid 545 holder with it. Bummer the film is gone though.

The standard basic kit these days for 4x5 instant film is a Fuji PA-45 (or Polaroid 550) holder plus the FP100C45 film. Only the color film is still available in the U.S. in that size, but maybe it's different where you live.

An alternative is to use the same film you've been using in your 250 in a Fuji PA-145 (or Polaroid 405) holder, which fits in 4x5 cameras. The Fuji film is the FP100C or FP3000B (there maybe others). Polaroid film has not been produced in some years.

The above holders are designed for 4x5 International backs, which are also called Graflok backs, though correctly that name only applies to Graflex cameras. There are occasional incompatibilities, but usually they fit in such backs just fine. With International backs, one removes the ground glass by pushing in two springs and sliding the ground-glass frame sideways to unclip it, inserting the accessory holder, and then locking it in place with the slide tabs at top and bottom. If your Shen-Hao has an International/Graflok back, it should accommodate one of the above holders.

The backs used on converted old Polaroids may or may not accommodate any given accessory. Some of them seem to value compactness over conformance with the standard. The Polaroid 110 series cameras used Polaroid roll film which has not been produced in decades.

The Polaroid single-sheet slide-in holder was the 545, but nobody has made single-sheet instant film for a number of years.

Rick "who has used all of the above" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

Rick "who has used all of the above" Denney
    hahah :-))
    Thank you Rick, ...and I thank you all before Rick

I forgot to say that I do have a fuji PA 145 back that perfect fits my shenHao
    i use it to previsualize some experimental shots (waterfalls, long exposures and so on) before i use a film sheet
    So i know FP100 4x5 very well since here in italy i can almost easily find them ( not so cheap..anyway i find them)

I just wanted to try the original 55 or 52 bw polaroids and so on, so that's why i asked for the 545 polaback..and similars; they don't fit the fuji PA-45 ( do they?! )
    I know they cost a lot... but once (or twice...) in a lifetime i think one could go for them..

well,
    that said ...from your posts and experiences i understood best point to start from is to use my shen hao with a polaroid/fuji back and stop
    I already have a 4x5 camera, i already have a 4x5 fuji back, i easily find the 4x5 fuji bw and color.. No problems at all.

And if i would like to have the real polaroid thrill i'll have to buy a polaroid back that fits my shen, feel another kind of the thrill ..i mean to spend around 120/150$ for a pack of polaroid type 52 ( Shipping included) and have fun.. ( hopefully.. :-)

Am i right ?
    A
    My starting page

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Bregani View Post
    And if i would like to have the real polaroid thrill i'll have to buy a polaroid back that fits my shen, feel another kind of the thrill ..i mean to spend around 120/150$ for a pack of polaroid type 52 ( Shipping included) and have fun.. ( hopefully.. :-)

Am i right ?
    Yes, the Type 52 comes in single sheets and fits in a Polaroid 545 holder. These are slide-in holders and I can't imagine they'll be any problem in your Shen-Hao. Just be aware that all the Type 52 will be well beyond its expiration, so you get what you get, which may be nothing usable at all.

Rick "for whom 'real Polaroid thrill' only applies to Type 55" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    which may be nothing usable at all...
    adding thrill to thrill... !
    hahaha

thank you very much Rick
    i'll tell you..
    A
    My starting page

Hi Alberto. The latest Razzle 4x5 models look amazing. http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

GF.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Flodders View Post
    Hi Alberto. The latest Razzle 4x5 models look amazing. http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

GF.
    Tks Gordon, already seen it ... rrreally nice ..!
    you can use also 4x5 film sheets, not only polaroids, it's correct?

Dop you think he already has some cameras to convert and (ready) to sell or you have to provide Dean with your own polaroid, lenses and after you ask him for conversion?
    uhm..maybe i'll email him.

tks for answer
    A
    My starting page