Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Photograph a farm... go to Jail?

Re: Photograph a farm... go to Jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    There have been many articles written about the real purpose of these laws. Here's one you might find interesting relating to the Utah law.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...lands.html.csp
    I read it, thanks for sharing. I have read several other articals as well, the subject matter is of interest to me due to the nature on my business. I also read the comments and found a few to be very interesting as well, the most recent one really stuck in my mind. If you missed it here it is.

Just a comment on this. The bill takes aim at people that leave a recording device on an agricultural operation after having been told by the owner (or owner's agent) that they may not do that. The bill isn't intended to stop folks from visiting a farm (such as Wheeler Farm in SLC) and taking pictures of their cows. Before you take someone's word for it read the actual bill:

http://le.utah.gov/~2012/bills...

I own a farm and if someone wants to come and take pictures while I'm feeding or vaccinating or hauling the cows, well then great. They can ask first. If they want to leave a camera on my farm and record everything I do with the intent of ill will then I'm not going to allow it and this bill is for intents and purposes such as in this instance. My farm is my private property much like your home is yours. May I come and leave a camera in your kitchen and record everything you do there? I don't engage in animal brutality, farmers don't engage in animal brutality, at the very least it isn't cost effective and towards the other end we are engaged in the business because we love and enjoy it. People tend to think this bill intends to allow agricultural operations the ability to hide abuse...which inherently lays the accusation that we're all guilty of abusing animals we just haven't been caught. The bill protects privacy rights, I assure you that if animals get abused the people behind it will be caught as they always do.
    I'm an ag producer, I'm a college student, I work another office job and it is folks like myself that feed the rest of you. I know someone out there is gonna have a fun comment to add to my post, likely it will be something crass about how ignorant I am or how truly wrong and belligerent we dumb farmers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    Enjoy? Nah, too dumb for this old farm boy.

I thought one could image about anything visable from a public road or right-of-way . . .not true? What about street photography?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

CantikFotos:

If you ever do that again, try putting out a few orange cones (Wallmart , a few bucks), and wear a white hard hat too. Folks will automatically think you are doing something official.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!