Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo black rubber makes my hand dirty

Gitzo black rubber makes my hand dirty

I got a used Gitzo, great tripod, but the black rubber things you turn to release legs, always leave hands dirty, even after cleaning them with sponge/water. Is there a solution? thanks.

Re: Gitzo black rubber makes my hand dirty

Wash hands?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The rubber is likely degrading from airborne or other petrochemical contaminants. The best way is to "abrade" the surface to get rid of the unstable rubber. Try cleaning vigourously with a baby wipe -- the kind used to cleanse baby bottoms. Those are one of the best cleaning tools ever invented.

I have some older metal Gitzos that overtime experienced deterioration of those gray grips, such that they became very dry and brittle and started to split. I went to Lowe's and bought a very inexpensive roll of black friction tape (3/4" wide, perfect fit), then took a sharp knife and easily removed each of the original grips by slitting across the width of the grip; the grips were not bonded to the lock ring. Then I wrapped the exposed lock ring with several turns of tape. Result: no black on hands and less squeezing effort needed to turn the lock ring. In your situation you might want to just wrap the tape over the grips if there's no deterioration yet.

Jerry, you lost me. These are the black rubber rings. not brittle, just leave dirt on hands. Brian, any brand? I have baby oil here, is that the same concept? Baby oil on a rag?

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Jerry, you lost me. These are the black rubber rings. not brittle, just leave dirt on hands.
    Sorry for the confusion. The rubber grips on much earlier leg locks were gray, not black. I doubt yours are deteriorating, so I just suggested that you cover your black grips with the tape. You could try it on one grip to see if it resolves the issue before applying to all grips.

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Brian, any brand? I have baby oil here, is that the same concept? Baby oil on a rag?
    You don't have babies in your house, eh? Baby oil on a rag will make it slippery and nice smelling, but that's not what you want. Huggies is one brand. The "plain wrap" brands are just as good though. Take a trip up the diaper aisle of your local supermarket!

http://www.huggies.com/en-US/products

Scroll halfway down... to "wipes".

p.s. Also good for detailing the interior of cars. Y'know that gunk that builds up on the steering wheel, and shifter and door handles? Baby wipes gets it off without scratching or abrading surfaces. I have no idea what is in them but if it is safe on a baby bottom, then it is likely safe for any applications. And they clean stuff (except that pesky adhesive remnants) like nothing else does.

Mask the legs and spray em with clear polyurethane.