Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

  1. #1
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    8,323

    Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    I had a seriously stuck step up adapter and just figured out a solution. In this case a 47XL and there was no way to get a grip on the lens cell. I cut a strip of the fuzzy side of self adhesive Velcro and put one on the lens side outside rim and one on the filter side outside rim-gave it a twist and they came right apart. The Velcro then came right off with no residue.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    "When did photography become a desk job?" Kirk Gittings 2009

    KIRK GITTINGS
    WEBSITE

    LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)

  2. #2
    Dave Karp
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,251

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    Thanks for the tip Kirk!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA, USA
    Posts
    109

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    I had a step ring jam to a polarizing filter. Of course the filter wants to spin. I found a pair of nitrile groves that I use in the darkroom in my pack and bingo - came right off.

  4. #4

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    I dropped a dslr and busted the haze filter that I had on it. The glass broke, and the ring wouldn't come off... I asked around and someone mentioned that you can push the lens against your shoe to grip the ring and turn the lens! It works

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA area
    Posts
    398

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    Here is a solution that will most likely work well on your adapter or filters. Years ago I read in my Leica Manual that a stuck filter can be removed easily by pinching the filter's rim between your thumb and forefinger at one location on its circumference and turning the rim. The reason being that the usual method of placing the thumb on one side and the forefinger on the opposite side and squeezing causes the rim to become ovalized (allowed by the small gap between the filter and its rim), thus creating friction in the threads at the points where the rim's diameter tries to increase, and that friction is resisting the applied torque. I've found that this works very well.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,144

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Here is a solution that will most likely work well on your adapter or filters. Years ago I read in my Leica Manual that a stuck filter can be removed easily by pinching the filter's rim between your thumb and forefinger at one location on its circumference and turning the rim. The reason being that the usual method of placing the thumb on one side and the forefinger on the opposite side and squeezing causes the rim to become ovalized (allowed by the small gap between the filter and its rim), thus creating friction in the threads at the points where the rim's diameter tries to increase, and that friction is resisting the applied torque. I've found that this works very well.
    A similar solution is pressing your palm against the front of the ring and turning.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    A similar solution is pressing your palm against the front of the ring and turning.
    I was typing the same suggestion when I saw yours. I've seen and used a lot of different methods, pushing the lens/filter hard against the palm of your hand and turning is the best and easiest I've found. You have to clean the filter afterwards but that's a small price to pay for getting it off the lens.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

  8. #8
    jadphoto
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Solvang, California
    Posts
    468

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    Often, the reason for the filter/adapter becoming stuck is that it and the lens barrel will expand/contract at differing rates with temperature changes. I've found that just wrapping my hand around them both will warm them both and the ring/filter will screw right off.

    Obviously, this works only for temperature related issue, but it does work well on chilly mornings.

    JD

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,144

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    Often, the reason for the filter/adapter becoming stuck is that it and the lens barrel will expand/contract at differing rates with temperature changes. I've found that just wrapping my hand around them both will warm them both and the ring/filter will screw right off.

    Obviously, this works only for temperature related issue, but it does work well on chilly mornings.

    JD
    And, it works only if the lens barrel and filter mount are of differing thermal expansion coefficients.
    A wee bit of lube on the threads makes a huge difference.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  10. #10
    Greg Lockrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Temperance, MI
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Removing stuck filters or step up adapter

    I use a rubber band about a 1/4" thick to use as a grip.... usually works for me. But before I put filters on, I rub a little graphite from a pencil on the threads first.
    Greg Lockrey

    Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.



Similar Threads

  1. Filter and step up adapter question
    By John A McDonald in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2006, 11:34
  2. Removing a stuck nut...
    By Christopher Perez in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2005, 13:47
  3. #%$&%$# stuck step-up ring
    By Jim Rice in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2005, 06:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •